Do you still think I am a hen? What mix breed am I?

I will try to get a closer photo of her. They are not real tame. It might be a day or two. Thanks everybody for the information.

Her legs are yellow no feathering/boot. I will only be able to pick her up after they roost tonight. I do know that the lady we got them from had many different breeds including marans, this one seams too big to be a cuckoo maran look more like Bared Rock?? (Due to size) i am a novice so I wouldn't really no the breeds well. Will see if I can get some photos tonight when they go to roost.
My Cuckoo Marans hens are far bigger than my Barred Rocks. They are slow maturing and started laying later. They also have white legs. Rocks have yellow.

Did the place she came from have any barred roosters? A barred or cuckoo rooster over a non barred hen will produce a barred hen. I have an Oliver Egger of my own crossing from Cuckoo Marans rooster over mixed colored partridge looking Easter Egger. She has white legs, is huge and shaped like my Marans hens, but has pea comb. The pea comb is dominant. I believe the white shanks are as well. She gives me large dark olive (like jarred real grean olives) eggs. From a distance you can't tell her apart from the Marans hens....until you see her pea comb.
I also have Cuckoo Brahmas. Same Cuckoo Marans roo bred to my Light Brahma hen. They are larger their mother, have typical Brahma shape, feathered legs, pea comb. And that super Brahma docile personality. They lay large dark brown eggs.

Last edited:
Her roosters all were mixed breeds, but I couldn't tell you with what. None of them looked barred to me as a matter of fact this one hen was the only barred chick/chicken she had on the place. She did say that she had been hit hard by predators so she may have lost her barred flock. Her legs are yellow and I think she has a pea comb not really sure. It rained all day today so didn't get any more photos of her, will keep trying.

For sometime now we have thought and been told this is a hen. We have not gotten an egg nor have we heard crowing, aprx 7 or 8 mo old. She/He is almost as big as our rooster but the comb is small if she is a rooster. Our rooster show some slight agression to her/him but nothing really bad..no blood or missing feathers. She/he sometime issolates form the rest although not too far still in eyesight. This small flock of 4 is of mixed mutt breeds as the lady we got them from had all kinds and the breeds intermixed. So am I a hen that is just not laying yet (all others are) or a rooster that just hasn't developed yet due to mix breeding? As for breed what do you think I might be? Will try to get better photos but this was as close as i could get.
Looks like a hen to me!

If the roos were all mixed breed than she would be mixed breed. Yes she is a hen with the thick barring. Barring, yellow legs, pea comb all could be presenting from different breeds. Many different breeds have each of these features.

In my mixed flock I like to guess who the parents are, but that is difficult even with the birds in front of me. It seems to me that unless a feature is unique to a certain breed it would really be difficult to identify what is in the cross with out knowing a list of possible parents. A possible combination of common birds for her could be barred rock and Easter Egger...but if the eggs end up brown.than not EE. She probably has more than two breeds.

Back
Top Bottom