Do you think it is wrong to feed chickens chicken scraps?

We don't, but that's only because we stuff the bones into a freezer bag to make soup later. But we have no problem with feeding chicken scraps to chickens. The way I see it... they're predators, and their behavior comes out often if they're kept in certain conditions. They'll even kill and cannibalize each other. So, just because humans have a problem with cannibalism, doesn't mean the animal kingdom sees anything wrong with it.

Ok good, I don't like to waste and when I make stock for soup or other uses I clean the bones I give the fat and yucky stuff to the girls. They love it. I had one of my girls get a small bird once and eat it so I figure it was ok. I don't give them the bones I worry they will choke but since they eat things with bones I guess it is ok?? One of my friends thinks it is so wrong to feed chickens chicken but they love it!! They almost took my finger off tonight!

One of my friends thinks it is so wrong to feed chickens chicken but they love it!! They almost took my finger off tonight!

Once I scrambled up some extra eggs and fed them back to my chickens, and a friend just about had a heart attack. I said, "What??? It's like feeding breastmilk to humans."

Quote:
HAHA, feeding breastmilk to humans did she stop and think about that one? my friend who helps chicken sit also thinks I am crazy for feeding my girls scrambled or hard boiled eggs. That one I have no problem with it is an egg and mine are not fertilzed. I know some don't feed their chickens eggs but when my kids crack one or we have left over eggs don't want to waste them! My cats won't eat them so someone has too!

i also feed my chickens eggs too. I'm not a big breakfast person so it doesn't take long with my 5 hens for the eggs to take over the fridge. So usually i'll scramble the oldest ones i have and feed them to the dogs and chickens.

Personally I think its a bad idea. Mad cow came about by feeding ground cow scraps to cows in cow feed. A well known / Brand name producer of corn based cow feed was using cow bones and scraps to fortify its feed. There was also a news article on dogs becoming sick from dog food made in china. The dog food was fortified with ground up animal bones from the local animal shelters.

Human cannibals that eat people on a regular basis begin presenting signs of neurological problems such as ticks and loss of coordination. I don't believe were meant to eat our own kind and that doing so can cause issues down the road. I believe this is true for most animals. Since I intend to use my chickens for my own food supply, I am not comfortable feeding them chicken.

Personal opinion

Riki

Personally I think its a bad idea. Mad cow came about by feeding ground cow scraps to cows in cow feed. A well known / Brand name producer of corn based cow feed was using cow bones and scraps to fortify its feed. There was also a news article on dogs becoming sick from dog food made in china. The dog food was fortified with ground up animal bones from the local animal shelters.

Human cannibals that eat people on a regular basis begin presenting signs of neurological problems such as ticks and loss of coordination. I don't believe were meant to eat our own kind and that doing so can cause issues down the road. I believe this is true for most animals. Since I intend to use my chickens for my own food supply, I am not comfortable feeding them chicken.

Personal opinion

Riki

The difference I see between Mad Cow Disease and what is being suggested by the OP is that cows are vegetarians, so feeding them cow parts is contrary to their diet in every way. Chickens, on the other hand, are omnivores and are arguably healthier with a source of animal protein than without.

We eat very little chicken since I don't want to contribute to the commercial meat chicken industry, so the only chicken we eat is that we've raised ourselves. When you raise it yourself, you tend to have very little in the way of waste. That said, what little waste we DO have, yes we feed it back to the chickens, who enjoy and benefit from, the protein.

Back
Top Bottom