Do you think seller should be responsible if...(pics added)

gvntofly05

Songster
10 Years
Sep 21, 2009
IN
Only 7 out of 15 eggs were fertile? Pictures post #6

I set 15 eggs 10 days ago. I candled this morning and pulled 10 eggs. Two of them had clear blood rings so I knew they were at least fertile. The other 8 I placed in my freezer to cool them and firm up the yolks. When I carefully cracked them open one by one each had a clear and prominent blastoderm but lacked any formation of a germinal disc. Meaning they were infertile. I can understand rough handling by the USPS hindering development but when eggs, I paid a hefty price for, never had a chance of developing due to fertility issues in the first place is not right.

Last edited:
You can never be sure that they weren't fertile. I don't think the seller should be responsible. You are always taking a gamble on hatching eggs.
smile.png

The only case where a seller should be held responsible is if they hatch out differant colors or breeds than what they bought.

Quote:
I understand the gamble on hatching eggs, I have bought lots. This is the first time I have cracked eggs that were clearly not fertile. It is possible to tell.

Infertile

When the egg is not fertilized, the germinal disc is called a blastodisc. There are four main characteristics associated with an infertile germinal disc:

1. the germinal disc is a solid white spot on the yolk.
2. the germinal disc is not uniform. It is somewhat circular but has "jagged" or "ruffled" edges.
3. the disc is about 2-3 mm in diameter.
4. many vaculoes (bubbles or holes) may be found around the edge of the disc. Sometimes vaculoes are present inside the disc.

Fertile

When the egg is fertilized, the germinal disc is called a blastoderm. There are four main characteristics associated with a fertile germinal disc:

1. the germinal disc is faint: Not a solid white spot. The germinal disc consists of a faint white ring which may have a solid white spot in the center of the ring.
2. the germinal disc is about 2-3 times larger (5 - 9mm) than the infertile germinal disc.
3. Usually, there are no vacuoles visible in the center of the ring. A few vacuoles may be present on the edge of the ring.
4. the edge of the germinal disc is very smooth and uniform. Ring is predominantly circular with no "jagged" edges.

The 8 eggs I opened were clearly JUST solid white spots.

As an egg seller myself I feel my responsibility is to make sure the eggs I sell are fertile and arrive intact. A less that 50% fertility rate is unacceptable. At least in my opinion.

When I carefully cracked them open one by one each had a clear and prominent blastoderm but lacked any formation of a germinal disc. Meaning they were infertile.

Do you think seller should be responsible if...

Hi! I can't speak for any other seller of 'eggs for hatching', but I have replaced obviously infertile eggs.

There are people who insist 'one can't tell after an egg has been incubated, whether it was fertile or not'. I can tell. If I can tell, then you should be able to as well.
Good luck!
Lisa

'edited for clarity'

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the eggs. I did the best I could trying to get them as clear as possible.

P1010027.jpg

P1010024-1.jpg

P1010011.jpg

P1010029.jpg

P1010030.jpg

P1010036.jpg

P1010038.jpg

P1010040.jpg

I bought eggs from a seller that had some of the nicest bantam cochin's I've ever seen. The add said that they artificially inseminate to keep their birds show worthy. That did make me sceptical,but I bought them anyways. Not one egg was fertile. I let the seller know in a polite manner. I haven't seen that person sell them again. Maybe you should let the person politely know. Maybe their Roo is old,or to many hens. Regardless ,letting them know may help them to correct their problem. Or if they still sell they can add extra eggs to make up for the infertility......Better luck next time
wink.png

Great News! I contacted the seller to let them know. Mainly because a fertility problem needs to be mentioned! They are going to send replacement eggs! I really love it when sellers are great with communication and willing to work with you!

I was kinda afraid of that. I think if they advertising almost perfect hatch rate and o so wonderful fertile eggs then yes the right thing to do would be to replace the eggs. I would if they were mine. I think a lot of people would use that to there advantage but you clearly have pics of the eggs. I would explain in a nice way what happened. They may replace or offer a refund. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom