Do you think this would work?/ more of my late night questions!

I am a member of the association of small animal breeders and as an association we often travel to fairs, exhibitions, markets all over Europe(Straubing,Wasserburg,Nitra,Padova,Monor...), We also visit all exhibitions in our "home" countries Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Slovenia and of course my Croatia.
Each of the breeders strives to bring the breed they breed to perfection, just to compete for a better rating (at the exhibition) than a colleague who breeds the same breed.:D:D:D It's like a sport for us!:wee
After some time, when we have won all the prizes we can win with that breed, we switch to another breed and start all over again.
We deal with projects that are very important to us, which is the revival of old autochthonous Croatian breeds, which over time almost disappeared: Hrvatica, Dalmatian chicken, Istrian chicken, Živičarka.....
We are proud of creating completely new breeds, which are already recognized: HPK (Croatian dwarf hen), Križevci hooded hen, Posavska kukmasta hen (Sava-s hooded hen), Međimurje hen...

So cool! Up till now, what are the breeds you have focused on?

So cool! Up till now, what are the breeds you have focused on?
For a long time I kept and competed with Big Silver Laced Wyandottes (now I don't have them anymore) - in order: Golden Sebright, Columbian Brahma, Croatian Hen, Chochin (porcelain color-dwarf), Padovan Hen (shamo color), Silkies in black color, English araucana lavender color, Leghorn white, Silkies bearded in white, Dwarf phoenix, Sebright silver.

I had the most success with Wyandottes, Croatian hen, Padovan chicken, white Silkies.

I am currently working on the ideal bearded silkies in white and silver Sebright.

I plan to get Sebright in lemon color, Barba d'uccle and Federfusige in Isabel color

For a long time I kept and competed with Big Silver Laced Wyandottes (now I don't have them anymore) - in order: Golden Sebright, Columbian Brahma, Croatian Hen, Chochin (porcelain color-dwarf), Padovan Hen (shamo color), Silkies in black color, English araucana lavender color, Leghorn white, Silkies bearded in white, Dwarf phoenix, Sebright silver.

I had the most success with Wyandottes, Croatian hen, Padovan chicken, white Silkies.

I am currently working on the ideal bearded silkies in white and silver Sebright.

I plan to get Sebright in lemon color, Barba d'uccle and Federfusige in Isabel color

May I ask the serama standard as well? It's another breed available to me, and I must admit, quite irresistible.

Here is my question. I'm looking into silkies, but I fear the space I have for them won't be suitable. Greece has been struck with really bad weather during the winters these past few years, and really hot summers. My question is, would a silkie survive those conditions, or would a serama be better? I think the silkie would have been better, but those feathers will get soaked in no time, and I'm wondering if a serama would be a better option because of that, though their small size makes me think otherwise. They will obviously have a sheltered area where they can go, my fear is if they can get to it in time

Greece has been struck with really bad weather during the winters these past few years, and really hot summers.
They can survive those, weather's been pretty extreme in Michigan, past couple years.
For extreme heat, make sure they have plenty of shade, cold water, plus extra water stations, & natural ground for dust bathing in dirt to cool down.

Yeah, I'm worried about winter just because the sheltered area isn't that big, so if they for whatever reason don't go to it, they will get completely soaked and/or get trapped in the snow
Silkies aren't that fragile when it comes to getting wet, & cold. To lessen the amount of water/snow you could add a type of blockade, like tarp, wood, or metal roofing.

I've done that years ago, but the big dog manages to get on top and has practically ripped the whole thing with her nails, but since they will have some shelter, I'm not that worried thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom