Do you use supplemental lighting?

Do you use supplemental lighting when the days get shorter?

• Yes

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Thinking about it

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Here to learn

Votes: 5 9.1%

• Total voters
I add light at 5am daily year-round. No lights added afternoons/evenings (except a nightlight) that gets turned off after they're on the roosts.
So where I live Sunset is as early as 4:20 pm and as late as 8:29 pm.
Egg production gradually slows starting in October, Daily production stopped December, and resumed in February.
No eggs were produced from January 23 to February 1st.
I got 7 eggs ending February 8, sunset was 5:06.
14 eggs, ending February 15, sunset was 5:15.
So far this week 16 eggs, sunset today will happen at 5:32.
My first full carton this year. 20200217_094608_resized.jpg . It didn't stay full. Right after I took picture, I removed 2 for breakfast.
I was getting tired of pancakes several times weekly.
My chickens are 5 Barred Rocks 18 months old and 2 Golden Comets 46 months old. One is retired, hasn't laid an egg since June.
Only 3 Barred Rocks are laying. 4 have finished their molt 1 is still growing feathers. 20200218_131643_resized.jpg .
So for me the magic number is 12 hours of light needed to produce eggs in the second winter.
New pullets may lay without adding light their first winter. GC
ETA; update, just found 2 eggs, so 3 today, 18 this week. Don't expect to find anymore today.

Last edited:
I used to use heat lamps in the winter but stopped after reading something on the internet about it (no matter how hard I look I can't seem to find that article again!). The points it covered were:

-Chickens don't need it. They have all the things they need to survive the cold, and while extra heat is nice they really don't need it.

-If the electricity were to suddenly go out in the winter your chickens -who are used to the extra heat- would freeze. Literally. To death.

-Chickens need a break from laying at some point. Winter is that break, and if you take away their "vacation" than their lives will drain away faster.

I hope this helps somebody decide whether to use them or not! I don't use them, and I advise people not to, but if you do I'm not going to criticize you or anything. I also worry about my poor chickens in the cold of winter nights, but have come to realize that they are tougher than we give them credit for.

I used to use heat lamps in the winter but stopped after reading something on the internet about it (no matter how hard I look I can't seem to find that article again!). The points it covered were:

-Chickens don't need it. They have all the things they need to survive the cold, and while extra heat is nice they really don't need it.

-If the electricity were to suddenly go out in the winter your chickens -who are used to the extra heat- would freeze. Literally. To death.

-Chickens need a break from laying at some point. Winter is that break, and if you take away their "vacation" than their lives will drain away faster.

I hope this helps somebody decide whether to use them or not! I don't use them, and I advise people not to, but if you do I'm not going to criticize you or anything. I also worry about my poor chickens in the cold of winter nights, but have come to realize that they are tougher than we give them credit for.
Good advice! Thank you for sharing!

I don't use heat lamps in coops to increase egg production.
I use LED bulbs 25 watt equivalent (250 lumens) inside my 2 coops, less than 25 square feet each.
A larger coop may need a 40 watt equivalent LED, 450 lumens.
Outside I use up to three 60 watt equivalent LEDs, 800 lumens.
20200210_051736_resized.jpg

I recently read that a warm light appearance (2700 to 3000 K), is many times more effective than a cool light of 5000 Kelvin to maintain egg production.
The only time I used a heat lamp in a coop was when I put my first Flock outside at 5 1/2 weeks in early May when temps got down to freezing at night,
20160509_122305.jpg
, at reduced intensity with a plugin dimmer. 20181125_080904.jpg . GC

Last edited:
Yes, I do.
They still get a break when molting.
Lots of different ways to use lights, some work great, some may be detrimental.

Curious @FortCluck are you thinking of using lights or wanting to support your non-use?
Neither. Just wanted to know why or why not others choose to use them or not.

Previously raised chickens in a cold climate- all year I had a light on a timer to only add a couple hours & help the goose have light to protect the free range birds if I was late locking the coop up. Then in the winter I changed it to a heat light when we were well below zero. I had great egg production, but sometimes I’d collect frozen, split open eggs. (Once I got a broody hen, she prevented frozen eggs, lol).
For my new warmer climate, I plan on solar security lighting around the coop, but haven’t decided on lighting inside the coop yet.

I don't mind if the chickens don’t lay for a short period or if they lay less during the winter period. Until now I have no supplement lighting. Another reason is I have no electricity in the coop. The coop is near the house and I lay a wire if its freezing for heating the water.

This winter I had very few eggs. Only one hen laying all winter. While I have 3 young hens. Harvest: 1 small egg every 2 days. I buy eggs in the shop since november. 4 months now. And I don't like buying so many eggs.

I am thinking on putting a permanent cable to coop for extra light next winter because I don't want to cull the older chickens (5) and the coop is too small for more chickens.

I would like some advice in how to let the girls slow down on laying. I don't mind if the older hens stop completely during winter. But I like to have (at least) the 3 young chickens lay an egg every other day.

Last edited:
I don't use heat lamps in coops to increase egg production.
I use LED bulbs 25 watt equivalent (250 lumens) inside my 2 coops, less than 25 square feet each.
A larger coop may need a 40 watt equivalent LED, 450 lumens.
Outside I use up to three 60 watt equivalent LEDs, 800 lumens.View attachment 2033064
I recently read that a warm light appearance (2700 to 3000 K), is many times more effective than a cool light of 5000 Kelvin to maintain egg production.
The only time I used a heat lamp in a coop was when I put my first Flock outside at 5 1/2 weeks in early May when temps got down to freezing at night,View attachment 2033073, at reduced intensity with a plugin dimmer.View attachment 2033080. GC
Thanks, this info is very helpful if I install light before next winter.

Back
Top Bottom