Do your chickens go out in the snow?

Will your chickens walk in snow?

• a. No way! One look at the white stuff and they huddle inside.

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • b. Yes, but only about an inch, any more than that and they stay inside.

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • c. Yes, they wade right out into 2+ inches of snow or more.

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • d. I don't open their door if it snows because I think it's too wet/cold for them to be outside.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daisy8s

Songster
8 Years
Sep 12, 2011
Central Michigan
I'm curious about chicken behavior in winter, especially as regards the snow! Please take this poll and tell me what your chooks think of the white stuff.

It only snows a couple or three times a year here, and only a few inches. After their initial panic at seeing the sky falling, their desire to wander generally takes over and they want out. My rule is that I prop open the door and they have the choice.

I think if we ever had a blizzard, I'd make them stay inside.

mine will only go out if theres food out there. when it started to melt and there where dry patches (we let them out into our yard) they flew over (or attempted to) the snow patches to get to the grass.

My answer is "none of the above".

When they first see it, mine will not go out in it. If it melts off fairly quickly, which it usually does here, they will never go out in it. But if it is on the ground for a few days, some will go out and forage in it if the weeds and grass are still high enough to stick out of the snow. I had some wade through 9" of snow last year to check out the compost heap, where they are used to finding treats.

So my answer is, if snow is on the ground long enough for them to get used to it, some if mine will. But none will the first time they see it.

Mine don't like the white stuff one bit!

The cold is not problem, but they don't like stepping on the snow, perhaps because their feet sink right through. Once some of the snow melts off however, they're outside playing again.

No. Why would they? My chickens are completely spoiled with a covered pen with plastic wall panels to create a spring-like environment. No wind. No snow. Total comfort.

Depends upon the chicken. My EEs are always out there for a little while and then will go back in the coop to warm their tootsies. My Orps are curious about it and will go out, but not for as long. All my chickens LOVE to eat snow - especially if its on my boots. They do not like to go out while it is snowing - like it is right now.
big_smile.png

Yes, where I live no matter the manner of critter you are... you don't have a choice!
Not sure how much they like it but they do go out in it.
I can think of maybe two days this winter where I haven't seen a chicken outside... one was during a bad storm the other it was -33.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom