Do your chickens use their ramp???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rebecca10782, Nov 26, 2008.

1. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Just curious, ours never did. They just fly up, so we took the ramp out.

2. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    My silkies use theirs

3. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Yes mine do, but I have tubby orpingtons and they don't fly much anyhow. They run (or walk) up the ramp. If something scares them though they leap and flutter to try and get inside faster.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  4. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    3 of my hens love the ramp 2 of them never touch it, they just flap up into the coop and out of it.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Ours love theirs and have been using it since they were 2 weeks old. Two planks with little cross bars every 6 inches, rising from the floor up three feet. Today they all flowed up the ramp to a platform, streamed out through their pop door to the outdoor platform, saw new snow, followed the leader back into the pop door, across flat area and down the ramp. They repeated this four times before someone discovered that you could drink the new snow. So they jumped down on two hay bales in the run and I've barely seen them since. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Some use it, some don't. I have a 2x4 roost attached to the outside of the coop next to the pop door, so in nice weather they all hang out there as well as along the ramp to preen before going in for the night. I have, however, found the ramp crucial for the entry/exit of chicks that are not yet able to coordinate flying up/down at that height.

7. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Oliver and my hens don't have a ramp but Leo uses his everytime. His bachelor pad door is actually a window 3 feet off the ground, so he doesn't have much choice.

8. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Mine prefer steps they can hop onto one at a time.

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    We have a ramp and everyone uses it. Fun to watch them line up and push when the lead chook is slow to go inside!!

10. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    Mine have found other added uses for the ramp not just getting into the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by