Do your ducks let you pet them?

That sucks I thought ducks got close to you and man I’m out there often dealing with them , as I said they do come right to me and peck me not angrily just curiously and will listen to me talk but that’s as far as we’ve gotten and I’ve had them since they were 8 was old
They do. You just have to recalibrate your expectations to reflect their minds, not yours. Spend time with them on their own terms, and they may even climb into your lap eventually! I find that doing yard work such as weeding is the quickest way to get them interested in you. Appeal to their curiosity. They've got a lot of it.

When i hand out treats some of the ducks almost jump into my lap while others just wait for me to throw something into their direction. During the morning meal-worm frenzy i can sneak in some pets with some ducks, but in general ducks don't like to be touched at all.
But that doesn't mean the ducks don't enjoy being around their "humons": My ducks great me with a friendly »Quack« when i leave the house, they come looking what i do when i'm working around the house, investigate the tools i'm using (which is sometimes bad, chainsaw for example) and enjoy when i talk to them.

All the ducks i hatched myself had no problem being petted, The ones i got as adults never wanted to be touched ever

20190323_140652.jpg
20190730_091452.jpg
20190502_100913.jpg
20190606_215034.jpg
20190606_215058.jpg

Awwww you’re so lucky
Thanks! All those ducks moved on to a hobby farm with a big pond, Iam hatching new ones

My trick is to hatch 1 or 2 at a time for maximum bonding. when i hatch 1 duckling i do it while iam off work and spend as much time with it as possible and the brooder is in the bedroom at night, The wife loves it haha

your in a great spot with yours, a place alot of people work for years to get too! your ducks look very happy and healthy

Four of my eight ducks I can go at anytime and pick them up. The other four I’m still working on. Two of them I just got about a month and a half ago and the other two I got in March so it will probably take a little while for them. My ducks love to be snuggled and held, the only probably is catching them! I did have two Rouen drakes I traded because they were being a problem in the flock and they pretty much hated me. Those two I bought and raised from ducklings.

Back
Top Bottom