Do your Guineas get along with turkeys?

racuda

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
North Carolina
I posted this on the "Turkey" side too.

I just got a 1 year Royal Palm pair. They have been in their own coop for several days now. After a few more days I plan to let them free range during the day and I'll lock them in the coop at night. Today I let them out to see how they would get along with my chickens and Guineas.

They ignored the chickens and they chickens ignored them. So far, so good. Then a couple dozen Guineas poured into the turkey coop. They ran the turkeys out and flew at them. The turkeys ran away from them. This surprised me since the turkeys are about 5 times bigger than the Guineas. Also I had read that sometimes turkeys can be aggressive with other birds.

Do you think that the turkeys will be at the bottom of the pecking order and always be tormented by the Guineas? Or when the turkeys get used to being here will they turn the tables and rule the barnyard?

I had my turkeys, chickens, peacocks and guineas together. It takes a little while, but they will get along as soon as they know who is boss. I have harmony in my chicken yard now that everyone knows everyone, a little scuffle now and then, mostly from the Tom and peacock.
hide.gif

I had my turkeys, chickens, peacocks and guineas together. It takes a little while, but they will get along as soon as they know who is boss. I have harmony in my chicken yard now that everyone knows everyone, a little scuffle now and then, mostly from the Tom and peacock.
hide.gif
Can a turkey and Guinea fowl meat together

Can a turkey and Guinea fowl meat together
Mate? Yes.
Taken from the feather site.
5061F21B-EFC4-4213-90B0-DBFB43C4D096.png

I saw my royal palm Tom jump on the back of a white guinea. I had to push him off because the guinea was so much smaller. Haven’t seen that happen again, so I hope that means he’s not trying anymore. A turkey could easily kill a guinea in a mating attempt.

Mate? Yes.
Taken from the feather site.
View attachment 2725268
I saw my royal palm Tom jump on the back of a white guinea. I had to push him off because the guinea was so much smaller. Haven’t seen that happen again, so I hope that means he’s not trying anymore. A turkey could easily kill a guinea in a mating attempt.
Nope that is a chicken guinea hybrid being passed off as a turkey guinea hybrid. Don't believe everything that you see on the Internet.

Really? I would never have known!
I suspect a Light Brahma involved in that one. They do not show any DNA verification for their claim. I have never seen anything other than that one case of the claim that such a mating happened.

The very nature of the breeding acts of the two species would prohibit natural breeding attempts. The only way possible would have to be through artificial insemination. Turkeys have enough of a different genetic structure that even A.I. attempts with other avian species have not proven viable.

Back
Top Bottom