Do your kids have chores?

This Summer,my two girls have made their own chore list. They don't do well together(19 months apart is fertile ground for fussing), so they alternate days. They did not ask,but I started giving then $5/week each. They use this money for all the little impuse things they ask for,or they can save it for something bigger. There are other things they do,just because they are art of the family. Mine are 15 and 13 yrs old.

My son feeds the horse twice a day and I give him $40 a month. Plus he has to keep his room clean. He saves his money to buy what he wants but I chip in if he comes up short sometimes. Then he will offer to repay me later on. My daughter is 9 she helps me clean when I ask but I don't give her a allowance. If she see something in the store that is cheap then I will buy it for her. Then she gets money for her birthday and Christmas she saves it and buys what she wants later on.
I use to help around the house when I was a kid sometimes my parents would pay me and sometimes not but if I wanted something small they would just buy it for me for helping them.

I can let you know how I did it with my two older boys (now 25 and 22) and how we've changed it for my 2 younger kids 7 and 8.

The older boys got an allowance based on age and what they did. Unfortunately, when they got older and got jobs, they no longer wanted to do work around the house because they had their own money now.
barnie.gif
Shame on me for letting them get away with that one......My younger kids get no allowance at all but do chores based on their ages and their abilities. There are no "girl" jobs or "boy" jobs. Just chores.

I realized that I'd made some real mistakes with my older kids, because

1. Our house should be based on teamwork. No one gets a free ride. Chores are a necessary part of life and our home, and builds character (never mind that everyone needs to know how to DO everything like dishes, laundry etc.)

2. Kids need to work everyday and in lots of different ways. I'm not talking about child-labor, but it should be part of life. If you don't make them work hard when they're young they'll not work hard when they're old. They won't be able to hold down a job
old.gif
and believe me....if my 22 year old could have a career playing video games-he'd have one!

3. Training at home-what I like to call "life skills" training -grocery shopping, folding laundry, sorting recycling-whatever it may be, makes them more prepared for their future.
Let them help pump the gas, make the grocery list, check the pantry.

4. When your kids say " why should I have to do this....you're the mom...why don't you do it?" I've thought about making them follow me around for 2 or 3 hours with a notebook writing down all that I do-so they can see and really realize all the things that I DONT ask them to do.

The one reason I'd say yes to an allowance for would be to train the kids on how to manage their own money. When their $$ is gone, it's gone. No borrowing on next week's allowance etc. I could see some benefits to that. Also, how about saving? My older kid's dont' save $ at all because I didn't teach them that. It's important for all kids to know that too.

I've tried really hard with all 4 kids to instill in them the realization that you need to work first, then play. That's a hard one too. That's just a good thing to realize at ANY stage of your life.

WOW! As I read back over this I'm feeling as though I sound bitter! I hope this helps and bit and doesn't sound too ranty! Have a great day!
rant.gif
sickbyc.gif
big_smile.png

My two teens get an allowance of 15.00 per week. We try to do the save a tenth, tithe a tenth and they can spend the rest on something extra they want--or save it for the future. I didn't give them an allowance to pay for things expected of them, such as taking care of their rooms and clothes, but to teach them about earning, saving and spending what they get.
They both have outside chores, daughter feeds horses and chickens in the morning, checks the pool skimmer and the pond filter. Son feeds the dogs, walks the inside dogs, and feeds the cats, takes out trash daily. They both take turns vacuuming if I don't do it, and putting wash in. I usually help feed in the afternoons, dry and fold wash. They put their clothes up and are responsible for their rooms and their bathrooms. Either/or will wash dishes if asked.
We also work together at my friend's horse farm, they've been going with me since they were toddlers and now help me with the stalls and daughter takes horses in and out. When my boss leaves for trips, they get paid extra and also they do odd jobs, mowing grass, weed eating, babysitting.
They don't get paid for good grades, but do get plenty of praise. I buy basics for them but if they want something pricey and really not something needed, then they have to come up with the balance.
I feel like it's taught them responsibility and appreciation for hard earned money. They also know how to budget and if we buy new clothes or "toys" then they give things they don't really use or stuff they can't wear anymore but still in great condition to someone that can use it.
Like others said before, they do most things because it's expected of them. Not always with extra enthusiasm but they do it with a good attitude.
There are penalties for bad attitudes, ie no computer time that day or no riding. Each has their own "currency" that I know works with them. Other than that, we all do everything here as a team and everyone's required to participate and give 100% effort. Hubby's been good to make sure they do it if I'm doing something else and even though lots of their friends get paid to do nothing to help around their houses, they say they like their chores most of the time because they like helping out, makes them feel good about themselves.

One thing I forgot to mention that I think REALLY helps at our house is our "teamwork" philosophy in everything. Even though I am a housewife, they have never seen their father come home and wait for me to take care of him. He plays "go-fer" while I cook dinner, sets the table, helps clear it, does the dishes most of the time because he knows I HATE dishes.....makes it very clear that we all have responsibilities as a family. It is kinda hard right now becasue we live apart (military) but every visit home he just falls back into place helping out.
smile.png

Im 12, I do not get paid for any of my work- around the yard or house :| . I live here and am not expected to pay rent or board so the least I can do is keep things looking nice and the animals alive. I dont get an allowance either. My mom is very old school and if I ever behave poorly, Im not able to sit for awhile...Everyone has their own views on parenting but I believe my mom has done a really good job so far and Im probally one of the most mature 12 year olds you'll ever meet. Thats not a personality trait either. Most children nowadays are really bratty and gossipy and dont get punished accordingly-thats the reason I like hanging out with my chickens, they will never pull the silent treatment on me.. lol.

My 17 yr old son has everyday chores that he does NOT get paid for and then I give him a chance to do extra chores for money (Gas) to run around in his truck with. He has more reg chores during the summer then he does during school just because of school work and after school wrestling practice. I don't think what your asking your daughter to do is unrealistic at all! In fact she should be happy thats ALL she has to do.
wink.png
What I tell my kids when they come to me and say "so and so's mom doesn't make her do that" is...sorry, I'm not so and so's mom. So what I say goes OR you get to stay home the week and spend time with me
lau.gif
lau.gif
THAT always works!

One question: I'm assuming you have a riding lawnmower, correct??? I sure hope so, cause I know that I would be a little upset if I had to pushmow 1.5 acres!!!! Stupid question, I know, but you never know who on here is running a labor camp......LOL!!! I know that when we were growing up, we NEVER had an allowance. We did NOT have extra money laying around, and NEVER got special toys or treats. Our idea of a treat was having something other than turkey burger, or even ice cream more than once a year. We were poor, and we knew it. The things that we did around the house were responsibilities, not based on a reward. Of course, rewards for good behavior are always nice, but I think the biggest reward would have been not getting whupped for disobeying when told to do something LOL!!! I appreciate my childhood, and in no way shape or form do I believe that I should have gotten an allowance for what we had to do around the house. My mom never got an allowance....why should we???? (BTW, I'm only 22)

We pay our three teens $20 a week for about two hours worth of chores- cleaning bathrooms, yard care etc. Though they are paid they are required.

They also keep their dishes loaded, keep their rooms neat ( ha) make meals- sometimes just for themselves and sometimes dinner for all. And anytime I need something I ask them. They really are good about helpingme when I need it- building coops and such.
big_smile.png

We pay $10 an hour for jobs too, so if they want money they can earn more. I always have a list of things that need doing, like painting, trimming plants in the garden, scrubbing the walls and such, so I assign them as asked.

I personally feel we pay them too much, but we live in an expensive and affluent area, and you would be amazed at how much money their friend get for nothing. The same kids who leave their belongings and trash all over my house because they have enabling parents- drives me crazy sometimes.

Sometimes it seems like too much work for them, and sometimes it works beautifully, as they get what they want, and feel good about it.
I feel blessed to have such great teens, and yet I do lose my cool sometimes when they "forget" the same old stuff. I think that is just life with kids.
barnie.gif
love.gif

The main lesson these kids get is that we are all valuable to the family, the country and the planet. We all need to chip in and help, and yep, sometimes we just don't want to, but we do it anyway 'cause it needs to be done.

Sorry for the rant- a whole bunch of teens just tore through:eek:

Jaybme

Back
Top Bottom