Do your kids have chores?

Bren1222

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 6, 2008
Iowa
I have a wonderful DD. She is usually so responsible and have never had any trouble with her. She is turning 10 years old at the end of this month. We give her chores to do and she has never really complained until a couple weeks ago. It has gotten to the point of demanding her to do them instead of asking or just reminding her.
he.gif
I finally sat her down tonight and asked her why she all of a sudden decided she wasn't going to do her chores. She told me that her friends and her were talking and they all get paid to do chores and she doesn't.
hmm.png

I guess my feelings on this are mixed and I wanted to see what everyone else does. We don't pay her to do chores but if she needs money for the pool, or if she sees a little something at dollar general etc. we either get it for her or I will give her a few dollars for snacks at the pool. No questions asked. We also let her sell the veggies from the garden and the jam we make etc. Half that money goes into her savings account and the other half she saves for when she wants something big. Right now she is saving (and almost there) for a Nintendo DS. Little does she know we bought her one for her birthday at the end of this month.
wink.png

Her chores are not big tasks. She has to unload the dishwasher, make her bed, pick up her things, on big cleaning day once a week she has to dust and vaccum, carry her dirty laundry downstairs, and she mows the upper 1 1/2 acres of flat land once a week. That is it.

My 4 year old DS also has chores. He has to make his bed, carry his dirty laundry downstairs, tie up the garbage bag and put a new one in the garbage can, and on big cleaning day he has to stock our three bathrooms with toilet paper, soap etc. I really don't think these few chores each of them have to do is too much.

I don't require them to help me with the outside chores at all. Most of the time my DS will be out there helping me but I don't want them down there by themselves and when school starts in the fall my DD always has a ton of homework. We don't pay for good grades either. We usually reward her with a movie rental of her choice or we go out to eat at a resturant of her choice or she can have a friend spend the night, etc. I think good grades are for her own pride of doing a job well done and if she is trying her hardest and gets a B then that is all we can ask.

I never even thought of paying them for doing something I think just makes them responsible. I am wondering if I should just give them an allowance each week if they do all their chores and when it comes time to them wanting some money then they have to take it out of their allowance. But how much allowance should I give them? Or should I just keep it how it is and explain to her why I do it the way we have been. Or should I pay her for each of her chores and how much do I give her for each chore? (but what if she just decides she doesn't want to do a chore and thinks it is ok because she doesn't need the money?)

I am curious as to what everyone else does when it comes to chores. Thanks!

I don't think it should matter what other parents do. But I don't have kids of my own.
smile.png

Has she said what she thinks is fair?
We didn't get paid for chores until we started junior high.
Even then there were things that were expected, like making our beds, keeping our bathroom and bedrooms tidy and taking turns at dishes, etc.

But other things were worth a payment, like so much for cleaning the garage, mopping, vacuuming, mowing the lawn, folding and putting away laundry to help our working parents.

My DD who is 9 also has to unload the dishwasher, make her bed, pick up her things, carry her dirty laundry downstairs. I dont let her touch my Dyson LOL she fights me all the time about doing any of it but she does it.

My parents used to pay me to do chores. I did become lazy and decide not to do stuff just because everything i needed (food & housing) was already given to me. We switched to an allowance and now all extra stuff we buy ourselves. However if we get nasty (teenage bad attitudes) the allowance is gone. Try explaining that you help do work around the house and don't get paid. I understand wanting spending money but neglecting your chores is not the way to go about asking for it. I'd try an allowance.
Oh yeah, i forgot to add how much i get. I'm 15 now and get $20 every 2 weeks if money isn't tight. When i was little i got $10 every 2 weeks. I wouldn't give her too much to start out with. After all she's only 10 and no one needs to go to the movies every weekend.

Last edited:
We do pay but only when he does them, which is seldom these days. He is 11 and I think he is at that age that everything that we want from him is going to be a fight. If I may make a suggestion. I would pay for the amount of chores but still make them mandatory. Just lswt her know that this is your way of showing appreciation for her making the effort to listen to you and getting a job well done. One day she will appreciate the responsibility that you have instilled in her. It may not be soon but nevertheless she will.

Last edited:
I am a kid (15 actually) and with me getting ready to have my permit and license sometime in the next year, I'm gunna need the money. My mom pays me an allowance, 15 dollars a week. During the week I have to do dishes on Mon. Wed. and Fri., do my own laundry on Thurs. dust my room in the middle of the month and clean the sinks and mirrors in every bathroom. Not to mention cut the grass or wash my mom's car if they decide to. Oh, and I have to take out the trash, almost forgot that. My sister does other stuff but I dont' feel like typing it.
smile.png
Personally I think you should pay her, it doesn't have to be much, maybe like 5 bucks or 7 seems fair enough.
big_smile.png

my oldest DD 7 will vaccum the living room, feed the dog , make her and her siblings bed, she takes the dog out, my DS has to be supervised because of his disability but he helps her, also he and their lil sister help cleaning what they can reach.

ETA : my DD's also take away dishes after dinner and my son is the "drink retriever" if you ask him for a soda, milk juice.... he'll bring you some, also works with napkins or silverware. seems like a small thing to do for five year old , but its a lot for him. he is also a good hugger when baby sis is crying.

Last edited:
My brother (19) and myself (17) both have chores, such as mowing the lawn, emptying the dishwasher, cleaning our rooms, etc. and we dont get paid! lol. I usually do laundry and dishes without asking, but I do that cause Im a great kid.
tongue.png

My parents deal is, they feed, house and provide our clothes, we better step up and do some stuff for them!

The way we do things around here seems to work well for us.
smile.png
But they are kids, soo not always, of course.
smile.png
Anyway, they have certain things that are just expected....keeping their room clean, picking up their own messes, clearing the table, doing the dishes if I ask (which isn't often because my dishwasher broke and it is a PAIN)...the basic stuff. There is no monetary reward for doing such, but I do make sure to praise them and tell them how great they are doing. Grades, same policy. I don't reward for good grades or punish for bad grades. Giving 100% is just expected. They can earn money by doing extra stuff. Picking up rocks out of the yard (our "lawn" is still a work in progress), picking up limbs after a storm, cleaning their bathroom (I consider bathrooms my job for some reason) and they get "bonus" money for getting "caught" doing something extra nice. Any chore they earn money for we discuss a price. They get to suggest what it is worth to them "I will do rocks for $5" for instance. anyway, as I said, it seems to work for us. They are pretty helpful, get wonderful grades, are just all around great kids. Oh, and they are 3 boys, ages 11, 8, and 7.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom