Docile Roosters

dimplesynn

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 4, 2012
My son loves chickens. We live in a suburban neighborhood with neighbors nearby. He would like to have a rooster as well. Currently we do have 2 buckeyes, 1 mutt, 1 wyndotte and 1 silkie (he likes variety!) We have a RIR rooster who is way too agressive especially with the smaller hens and extremely loud crowing all day from 4:00 a.m. to way past 10. I would like to have a rooster who is a little quieter and much less agressive. Is there a breed of chicken that might fit in better? Thank you

If you want someone with a quieter crow, definitely stick to the smaller Bantam breeds; OEGB, d'Uccle, Serama, Silkie, Cochin. These breeds tend to be on the quieter, smaller, people friendly, mellower side of the Bantam Breeds.
images

images

images

images

images

*Not my picture btw, just wanted to give you some examples
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
welcome-byc.gif
`````````````````````````````````````````````

Last edited:
roosters will however crow whenever they feel the need to ;)
this. If your roost are illegal or a serious neighborhood issue, be prepared to go through several to find a quieter one. Or, maybe look for an older roo. My 4 year old boy crows in the am and that's about it. Multiple roos will crow more, like in competition. I don't know about bantams but brahma, cochin and faverolle roos are more docile breeds.

I've had problems with aggressive roosters and I've heard that Cochin rooster are the sweetest things. We've had to deal with 7 aggressive Ameraucana rooster and I would not
suggest them. From my experiences my Polish rooster is the only sweet and non-aggressive roosters so far (note he's 4 months old and has shone no aggression but are roosters tend to get aggressive by
eight months).

Back
Top Bottom