Docked beaks

Suesweet

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 2, 2016
Hi all, I always find so much helpful info on here from everyone so I’m reaching out.
I just bought 6 layers and when I got them home saw that their beaks have been docked (not sure what it’s actually called). Most are barely noticeable but a couple make me sick to look at. I have never seen this in person and will not buy chickens again without paying closer attention to this. It bothers me and I am just kind of wondering-are they traumatized from this? Are there long term effects? Will they grow back? Obviously they’ve made it this long in life and have survived-do I need to just realize that I learned a lesson with this and move on? Thanks for any input.

This is done at hatch and no more traumatizing than being vent sexed, packed and shipped. It dies not regrow and generally causes no issues....it is done to prevent picking/aggressive pecking and is most common in birds bound for battery houses, etc where overcrowding leads to behavior issues

Thank you. Good to know and that explains a lot. I did not know it was done early on and am glad to know I shouldn’t have to worry about future issues. Also-we love your profile picture of chick in a top hat 🙂

Sometimes the beaks will grow back when they're debeaked like that, but it's done with the intention that they not regrow. And yes it's generally done for commercial farms because the crowded conditions cause the birds to attack each other.

As long as your birds can eat without issue I wouldn't worry about it, but it's a good thing to keep an eye on.

There are many things in animal husbandry that appear cruel and barbaric but aren't nearly as bad as they seem. An example I use is spaying or neutering dogs or cats. On the surface that could be considered pretty barbaric but most people understand why it can be a good thing.

Docking generally refers to removing all or part of an animals tail. Cropping generally refers to trimming ears. Both can be parts of animal husbandry.

One thing I don't like is dubbing. When roosters were kept for cockfighting they were dubbed, the comb and wattles were cut off. That way an opponent could not grab them and rip them, causing a lot of bleeding. Cockfighting is now illegal in all 50 states but the SOP for game roosters requires them to be dubbed for showing. That's a holdover for tradition.

What you see is called de-beaking. I personally don't like the practice but it is fairly common where flocks are kept in pretty tight conditions. It stops feather picking and cannibalism. Commercial operations are loosening up somewhat but still have a long way to go. When people on this forum have issues with feather pecking or cannibalism I'm not going to suggest debeaking. There are other ways, usually providing more room or remove the aggressor.

As suggested, watch them eat. Debeaking makes it harder for them to peck specific things. They can have more trouble catching grasshoppers or other creepy crawlies. Many commercial operations feed wet mash instead of crumbles or pellets to make it easier for them to eat. That's probably not necessary in your case but if eating becomes a problem switching to mash and serving it wet might be a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom