Doctors say No hamsters or chicks or exotic pets for young kids

A lot of people are raising their children "back to the earth" -- deliberately letting them get dirty in many ways from an early age. These children are amazingly hearty, and rarely ill.

When I was growing up, our house and the children in it were always spotless. We would get in trouble if we got dirty. I was sick ALL the time -- my immune system is very weak.

Last edited:
Growing up we had snakes, gerbils, dogs, cats, parrots, parokeets, and would regularly catch crawfish, toads, frogs, and lizards. My kids are being exposed to the outdoors and many creatures. Plus they are very healthy and strong. A bit insane but very healthy.

Yesterday my daughter (8) was helping me clean the coop and rake the run. I wear dissposable gloves when I do a the weekly heavy duty cleaning and scraping. I gave my goofy girl a pair to wear and she helped. When she was done (hitting my head right now) she decided to BLOW UP the glove. Ewwww! Kids are gross and don't think things thru. I made her wash up and asked if she liked the taste of chicken poop, along with the "WHY did you do that?!?!" and got the typical answer.... I don't know;)

Last edited:
Moderation in all things, that's my motto. In the good ole days, people were lucky to live to 50. Now we expect to live to 80, even WITH all the toxins, vaccines, chemicals, and so forth. And we look good doing it, too!

I agree with you MSbear, the purpose of being vaccinated is to protect a whole population of people, not the individual child. Some vaccines can harm some individuals. It's a selfless act, in that sense. You do it for the good of all, not for your own self-interest. Of course, with jet travel and globalization, polio or measles could possibly make a comeback in days or weeks in the US, since these diseases are still around in other parts of the world.

gig.gif
No pets for kids under 5.

Poor kids, whose parents listen to that. I feel bad for them.
sad.png

My sister e-mailed me that link saying she was worried about the kids. Bah! I'm worried about the ones that don't get to have animals in their lives! Anybody got a link I can send her for that?
wink.png

Well, I guess I shouldn't be alive then.
roll.png

I grew up rural, which means I was ALWAYS in the creek catching crayfish, or salamanders, minnows, chubs, etc. I caught any snake I could find.

We had stray cats, several dogs, a hamster, goldfish...

And I was always at my friend's farm, helping her with the chickens, pigs, sheep, cows, goats, or any other animal that came around.

I do remember we weren't real keen on handwashing, too, LOL.

This world has simply gone insane.

My kids have a hamster, 6 bunnies, chickens, fish, frogs, cats, a dog, a cockatiel, uh, I think that's it.

We're not sick very often. We do wash hands a lot, but I no longer disenfect everything.

I've been a nurse for a long time. The thing about the human body is this: it is constantly sampling it's environment and taking in new germs, bacteria, what have you. Most contaminents are brought in, and fought off by the body. Once it is fought off, you carry the antibodies, and the next time your body comes across that particular nasty, your body will fight it off more quickly. It's called a healthy immune system.

Once you start disenfecting everything, and sterilizing your environment, your body no longer has to fight off all these contaminents, and your immune system has less anitbodies, making yourself more susceptible to germs, bacteria, etc.

I honestly believe we are disenfecting and vaccinating the robustness (is that a word?) out of the human race. Obviously, we've evolved this far without the benefits of antibacterial soaps and all that other crap.

If we were truly as fragile a species as these doctors are now suggesting, we never would have made it through the dark ages.

Wash your hands, don't live in total squalor ... you'll be fine.

I bet these docs would be horrified to see how dirty my kids get after a day outside in the yard, LOL. Sand in their hair, dirt under their nails, feet black on the bottoms...The water is so dirty, I gotta change it to rinse them clean.

And I wouldn't want to raise them any other way.

Sheesh.
Sorry for the rant - this kind of stuff just hits a senstitive spot with me.
Em

Quote:
Thanks, Renee. I'll respect the original poster and not get too into this but I just want to ad. Im not ready to risk my individual child for the "good" of anyones whole. He's my baby. I don't believe the doctors know who will be harmed and who won't and Im not ready to let an eighteenmonth old baby take that chance. Like I said in the previous post, I've done extensive research and heard tons of testimonials of moms. One, for example, who had a normal baby. She went for the second round of shots which set off a crying spell that has lasted 8+ hours and after that, a child that lacks the desire to communicate. Later, this child was diagnosed with autism.

I believe the scientists are figuring out who's more suseptible during these, what I call, mass vaccination experiments. We don't know what long term effects, however minisquel they might be, may have on our WHOLE population. Many harmful diseases have been irradicated which is wonderful.. But now they are coming out with vaccines for things that aren't dangerous and I don't think the risks outweigh the benefits. I may selectively vaccinate in the future when my baby isn't so vulnerable to metallic toxins in his brain or when we decide to take a relaxing vaca to some third worl country. hahahaha

My selfless act is to be ridiculed by others who don't understand why I do what I do so that my baby will have every advantage to grow to be healthy and strong:)

Thanks.

I saw that article and think those doctors are completely out of their tree. Honestly. Can you imagine, I actually used to be allowed to play OUTSIDE when I was growing up....you know, with other kids, in the city none the less! We ran all over the neighbourhood until dusk and then went home.

When I went to the country to my cottage as a child my best friend (who lived on a farm) and I went out catching frogs, grasshoppers, fish, played in the hay loft, ran around the woods, swam in the brook and hung around with the cows etc....

I feel really really sorry for kids these days. They're missing out on sooo much fun, and they don't even know it.

Urban Coyote

Last edited:
Quote:
Some are, but thankfully there are still people with sense in their heads raising kids today. Problem is if one of the paranoid wants to, they can call Child Protective Services and get that parent in trouble. Truly this is what is wrong with society today - mind your own business, take care of your own, do it well and things will all improve!

(I am not talking to anyone here!!!)

My sons played in the woods - alone! They climbed trees, they played war, they caught things, they did all the things boys should do as they grow up. I let them. And I would do the same thing today. It's the way I was raised. I refuse to give into the paranoia that reigns nowadays!
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom