Documenting Day-to-Day Duckie Development

Pics
Ok... Another question...

How do I keep them from running out of water? I had to put an incredibly messy 1 gallon chicken waterer in there, but most of that ends up in the pan beneath it. I had a plastic tub with holes in the lid that allowed them to stick their heads in, but they emptied it so quickly.

Any suggestions, my experienced duck-adoring friends?

How do I keep them from running out of water? I had to put an incredibly messy 1 gallon chicken waterer in there, but most of that ends up in the pan beneath it. I had a plastic tub with holes in the lid that allowed them to stick their heads in, but they emptied it so quickly.

For a while I got away with propping one of those standard shallow chicken waterers up on a pan so they couldn't poop in it for drinking water, and providing a separate tupperware deep enough for them to dunk and clean. My theory was if they spill all of their dunking water at least they won't run out of drinking water between the times I could check in on them and refill it. This worked for a while, but eventually I just went and bought one of those large automatic dog waterers. I still needed to dump, clean, and refill it at least a couple of times a day, but they were no longer at a risk for running out. I imagine someone has come up with a better solution, but that's what I got!

Day 12 - Saturday 2/20

View attachment 2538973

Tried to get a group shot, but I could NOT get my duckies in a row!
Hahahaha!
See what I did there?!

Oh - and it is quite obvious when they are swimming that their feathers are starting to come in. I can also see the beginnings of tail feathers. It is mind boggling how quickly they grow!
:eek:

ETA: You can actually see the feathers coming in on Marmalade's back in this picture.
Oh my goodness! They aren't ducklings anymore.. they're now young ducks!! :love

When they were two weeks old, i switched to a 3 gallon waterer - and a very wet brooder. 😖
It actually wasn't too bad, during the day i had them outside in the duck's vacation home:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/2020-fall-ducklings-🦆💖.1414574/post-23292689
I had to clean their brooder every day for one week, after that they moved into the vacation home until they joined the flock:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/2020-fall-ducklings-🦆💖.1414574/post-23297120

When I raised 7 ducklings, I used containers about 6" by 12". I would put two of them in my brooder and I would have to fill them twice a day. I refill them more because the water was disgusting then out of water.

PXL_20210223_020331352.jpg

It's a big rabbit cage. I lined it because of the mess they make shaking their heads when they eat/drink. I need something I can move around easily so I can keep an eye on them during the day. So this is sitting on a furniture dolly. Plus, I already had this (I've used it for chicks). Otherwise, I'd just use a huge water trough.
Great idea.. on a dolly! I use my rabbit cage for the chicks too... so it’s probably the same one have.. it just looked different because you lined it! Another great idea! I’ll remember that 😁

Nothing. Beats. Overdosed mealworm poop. NOTHING!

Ok, red cabbage does: When it comes back out it looks sickish green! 😖

Protein poops are the stuff of olfactory nightmares.

I very distinctly recall that moment of horror when I came upon dog poop in the yard that, at first glance, looked to be teeming with maggots or fat worms. Turns out my chow-hound just broke into the whole grains. :lau

I've been out of town the last 4 days moving my mom into an assisted living facility. I am FINALLY home, and MY GOODNESS the duckies have grown! I will get picks tomorrow.

Everything has been a whirlwind of change. I have not been the best duckie/chicken/cat/dog owner. I need to get the duckie girls grit and treats. I jeedto start bribing them to like me again! It's like they don't recognize me...

Back
Top Bottom