Does 2 Roos disrupt egg laying

Learned my lesson the hard way. Had two roos and six hens. They plucked my girls bald from shoulder to tail. I really wanted roos because I want to replenish my own flock and I love to hear them crow. So I moved my boys to a coop out of sight of the girls. They get along good and my hens have feathers again. I have 10 hens now and 4 young roos that I will have to cull soon. Once I get 3 0r 4 more hens I may move a roo back in with them. I never had a change in egg production either way. But I agree with the others. Get the roos out or you will have bald ladies.

Yes I bought 4 more pullets, which ended up being on 2 pullets and 2 Roos. Today I called my friend who has a large chix ranch. She had taken the first roo thAt stRted crowing when egg production came to a stall. I called her today and told her that the second roo stRted crowing and egg production stopped. She explAined to me that once their "friend" wants more than a "friendship" it makes them nervous and stop laying. So unfortunately she now has Barny and Lance. She says things should get back to normal soon

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. As the other members have pointed out, that 10 to 1, hen to rooster ratio is very important as too many roosters will be very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. As liz9910 pointed out, the only reason that you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching. I currently have 25 hens and no roosters in my flock, and I get loads of eggs without all the aggression, fights, feeding of non-productive mouths, crowing in the middle of the night, over-breeding and battering of hens that typically goes along with having mature roosters (especially too many of them). My hens are stress free and enjoying life without the roosters around. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hens laying again.

Thank you so much!!! Today my hens are back to normal since I took Lance to my friends house. From here on out, I'm only going to buy pullets from a reputable breeder online!! Not a feed store

Thank you so much!!! Today my hens are back to normal since I took Lance to my friends house. From here on out, I'm only going to buy pullets from a reputable breeder online!! Not a feed store
If by online breeder you are referring to a hatchery, that is where the feed store sources their birds. The feed store is not the one mis-sexing birds as the sexing is done at the hatchery. Even a private breeder that is vent sexing will have an error rate - it is just the nature of vent sexing.

Unless you are buying autosexing or sex-linked birds, there is always the chance of getting a mis-sexed chick due to the process involved in vent sexing -- the alternative is to purchase older juveniles instead of day-old fuzz butts.

Last edited:
Glad your hens are back to acting normal, hope they start laying again soon for you! Those young roosters are a nuisance. Sex links are a breed/ cross that you can feel pretty safe getting from feed stores (unless they mix some other red breed in the bin), since they can be sexed at hatch by down color with the girls being red and the boys being white. They are sold under various name like Red Star, Golden Comet, ISA Brown etc depending on the hatchery... they are really popular and most feed stores will carry them in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom