Does any body knows what are the parents for HY-LINE BROWN Chickens?

Well, for sure!!! Hy line brown is a commercial red sex-linked hybrid bred from this great company for laying having the excellent laying abilities it has, for being too small in size and for being color dex-linked.

The father lines must be red and having the golden gene. They must have be the excellent choice. So selecting them is a very hard job.
Excellent laying heritage breeds that have the golden gene are the rhode island red and the new hamshire. I don't know about the red leghorn. Maybe this breed too.

The mother line must be all white and have the silver gene. White leghorns don't have the silver gene. They are dominant white!!! Also they lay white eggs!!! But, I believe that the mother is hybrid bred from white leghorn and other layers who are excellent layers and have the silver gene.

You're welcome. LS is Light Sussex and WL is White Leghorn. I've raised Red Sex Links with various silver gene hens over the years (Rhode Island White, White Rock, Delaware, Silver Laced Wyandotte, and Light Sussex) as well as Black Sex Links (RIR rooster X Barred Rock hen) and they all are no. 1. The Red and Black Sex Links have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. I actually prefer the Black Sex Links to the Red Sex Links as my Blacks have been somewhat friendlier, and a slightly better layers in really cold winter weather, but either way you can't go wrong.
Sex links can't hold a candle next to the legendary 4-line white leghorns when it comes to feed conversion and layer abilities.

The mother of the commercial sex links is solid white, lays brown eggs and carried the silver gene. The choice is between the white Plymouth rock breed and the rhode island white breed.

I believe that the white rock is the wife of the RIR hanks that creates the commercial layer machines. White rocks are much older than the rhode island whites. White rocks were used by farms for the purpose of laying eggs many years before the creation of RIW. White rocks have a tendency to produce teraccota pinkish brown eggs, a gene that is also shown in the commercial sex links.

Of course big companies genetically select the parent stock for maximum feed conversion. A farmer can't do this hard work.

You can cross them with a rooster of any good laying breed and probably have good laying offspring, however the offspring will likely not be the egg laying machines their Red Sex Link (Hyline Brown) mothers are.
The hyline brown is a terminal cross. The terminal crosses don't lack the balance of the parental chickens and they are recessive. If you cross a black australorp rooster over hyline brown hens, the offsprings will just lay one more egg per year than a pure australorp.

Also, bear in mind that hybrid layers are designed to utilize ONLY fully formulated commercial feed.

When it comes to pasture utilization, a heritage breed is better by far.

You're welcome. LS is Light Sussex and WL is White Leghorn. I've raised Red Sex Links with various silver gene hens over the years (Rhode Island White, White Rock, Delaware, Silver Laced Wyandotte, and Light Sussex) as well as Black Sex Links (RIR rooster X Barred Rock hen) and they all are no. 1. The Red and Black Sex Links have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. I actually prefer the Black Sex Links to the Red Sex Links as my Blacks have been somewhat friendlier, and a slightly better layers in really cold winter weather, but either way you can't go wrong.
The Red and black sex link what color are the offspring? What color are the hens and roosters? Hope my question makes sense, on the black sex links (RIR rooster X Barred Rock hen) what sex are red and what is black?

Back
Top Bottom