Does any one use ivermectin in chickens ?

kathy, i will get the safeguard today! I let myself be talked out of it, even tho that's what i went for. Thanks again so much
D.gif

I dont recommend ivermectin since it's ineffective in chickens as a wormer. Here's a link, scroll down to "Summary."
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0450.1989.tb00635.x/abstract
I recommend safeguard or valbazen for worming.

Hi Dawg53. I was surprised by the summary of that research. I wish I could see the whole article since they just said the results were unsatisfactory. I started searching to see if I could find it elsewhere. So far I haven't but I did find another research study for ivermectin and round worms (ascaridia galli) showing "The drug was found to be 90 and 95% effective against immature and adult worms..." I realize this was only round worms and valbazen is for all worms.

http://eurekamag.com/research/007/0...mental-ascaridia-galli-infection-chickens.php

And then there's this information from the University of Maryland:
www.agnr.umd.edu/extension/agriculture/smallflock/Disease/Deworming%20Birds.pdf

There seems to be so much conflicting information to sort through, I'd appreciate hearing more of your thoughts as I still have a lot to learn.

I was also surprised by that summary and hope one day to learn how to do my own fecals and worming experiments. The worms that worry me the most are capillary and cecal and when I asked my vet how to treat capillary worms she said "you could try ivermectin", then she pointed to a page in a book that recommends .4mg/kg. Sigh, even my avian vet isn't sure how to treat certain worms.

-Kathy

Quote: I quit using ivermectin and eprinex some years ago for worming because about 2 months or less after using either product, I was seeing worms in feces again, specifically large roundworms. There are threads in this forum where many folks use either product primarily for mite treatment, not knowing both products are off label whose primary purpose is actually used primarily as a wormer in cattle, treating biting insects in cattle is a secondary benefit. I suspect that this has been going on for years among chicken owners and worms have built resistance to both products over the years, specifically in chickens.
Confusing and contradicting links..... From my personal experience, I dont use either product anymore...lesson learned. I would use them IF I were dealing with a severe case of mites, but that hasnt happened with my birds. If you feel confident in using either product and that they'll kill worms...by all means, use them. There are much better/effective and cheaper wormers on the market without having to risk worrying if ivermectin or eprinex are effective or ineffective. I use what I know works, I wont risk my chickens health, safety and welfare. Good luck on whatever you decide.

I was also surprised by that summary and hope one day to learn how to do my own fecals and worming experiments. The worms that worry me the most are capillary and cecal and when I asked my vet how to treat capillary worms she said "you could try ivermectin", then she pointed to a page in a book that recommends .4mg/kg. Sigh, even my avian vet isn't sure how to treat certain worms.

-Kathy
Kathy, I took my dog to our vet a couple months ago for a routine check up. We were talking about chickens, he has a small flock. We were talking about wormers and ivermectin came up in the jaw jacking. He knew about ivermectin losing its effectiveness and stated that it wasnt a surprise to him.
BTW, he uses pyrantel pamoate on his birds...phooey.

Last edited:
I quit using ivermectin and eprinex some years ago for worming because about 2 months or less after using either product, I was seeing worms in feces again, specifically large roundworms. There are threads in this forum where many folks use either product primarily for mite treatment, not knowing both products are off label whose primary purpose is actually used primarily as a wormer in cattle, treating biting insects in cattle is a secondary benefit. I suspect that this has been going on for years among chicken owners and worms have built resistance to both products over the years, specifically in chickens.
Confusing and contradicting links..... From my personal experience, I dont use either product anymore...lesson learned. I would use them IF I were dealing with a severe case of mites, but that hasnt happened with my birds. If you feel confident in using either product and that they'll kill worms...by all means, use them. There are much better/effective and cheaper wormers on the market without having to risk worrying if ivermectin or eprinex are effective or ineffective. I use what I know works, I wont risk my chickens health, safety and welfare. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Thanks for explaining. I know eprinex is expensive, generic brand ivermectin not so much. I've also priced Valbezen and see it's quite pricey. I have a very small flock so 500ml is a LOT.
What is your preferred treatment, and do you alternate to avoid resistance? If so, what product(s) do you alternate with?

When I think about drug resistance I wonder how an entire species becomes resistant, or does it happen regionally? If a breeder maintains a closed, or nearly closed, flock will that same resistance be seen there, too? I wonder if a drug is withheld for say, five generations, would that be sufficient? Obviously I'm not schooled on the subject but I'm still rather curious. Any idea?

I'm on this crusade just now because I found a round worm outside the coop. I clean the coop and pen daily and haven't seen evidence of anything else. But my untrained eye may be missing something! I have used eprinex 2 other times (June & Oct) primarily as a preventive for mites. Since I'm new to this I don't know whether to be proactive on worming or wait until I see health issues. Although I'd rather not have to fight off a sickness if a well time preventive program will keep them healthy. I don't like seeing sick animals. My girls look good right now so I'm not panicked, just don't want to be ignorant!

Thanks again.

Birds that are kept on the same soil, in a pen or run for example, are more prone to get reinfected. One roundworm can lay thousands of eggs in one day. Birds peck the soil and pick up infective eggs starting the worms lifecycle all over again. Birds that are kept in cages with wire bottoms are rarily worm infected simply because they are off the ground. Free ranging birds get worms too, if their feet touch the ground...they will get worms eventually.
It's always recommended to rotate wormers. I've rotated with valbazen, safeguard, added pyrantal pamote and have used zimectrin gold for tapeworms. These wormers usually have 2 to 3 year expiration dates.
As far as resistance goes, the best example I can think of is antibiotics given to patients by doctors for every nitnoid sneeze or hangnail that they might have. Alot of antibiotics for people are useless because of the indiscriminate administering and use of these drugs. It wasnt until a few years ago they've become aware of human resistance and are cracking down. More recently the Feds are cracking down on too much antibiotics being administered to livestock in commercial operations, maybe you heard about it in the media. I suppose the long term effect is showing itself in humans.

I have been wondering why my bantams who are in a coop and only get to free range on occasion get mites and the large fowl flock who live in the barn have never had them. Thank you for exposing it. I treat quarterly for worms with Safeguard for goats. At that time I Seven dust the barn and coops. My LF flock is a mix of EE, Australorp, Leghorn, Wyandotte, and a mix of the above. There are also turkeys and goats in with them. Bantam are d'Uccle, Silkie, Polish and a couple of other like breeds. The hawks like my bantam is the reason they only go out when I'm here to guard them.

Should I get Valbazon to treat for mites. I'm almost out of Ivermec. How do you administer it. I don't know that I'm comfortable giving injecting them.

I have been wondering why my bantams who are in a coop and only get to free range on occasion get mites and the large fowl flock who live in the barn have never had them. Thank you for exposing it. I treat quarterly for worms with Safeguard for goats. At that time I Seven dust the barn and coops. My LF flock is a mix of EE, Australorp, Leghorn, Wyandotte, and a mix of the above. There are also turkeys and goats in with them. Bantam are d'Uccle, Silkie, Polish and a couple of other like breeds. The hawks like my bantam is the reason they only go out when I'm here to guard them.

Should I get Valbazon to treat for mites. I'm almost out of Ivermec. How do you administer it. I don't know that I'm comfortable giving injecting them.
Valbazen is a de-wormer, not for mites. It is given undiluted by mouth 1/4 ml for bantam, 1/2 ml for regular large fowl, and 3/4 ml for very large chickens over 7 lb.

Back
Top Bottom