Does any one use ivermectin in chickens ?

Well we used damacious earth both inside and out on chickens and we had good luck with mites and lice. Pick out infected feathers if lice and overly affected mite marked feathers. Then use a 7 dust liquid drench have to use it very lightly since its not for animal use but has gotten rid of them in emergencies. Very dilute when you do it. But since its for plant use only i will not say to do it or not. But i have and used it for over 25 yrs on all my poultry.

Birds that are kept on the same soil, in a pen or run for example, are more prone to get reinfected. One roundworm can lay thousands of eggs in one day. Birds peck the soil and pick up infective eggs starting the worms lifecycle all over again. Birds that are kept in cages with wire bottoms are rarily worm infected simply because they are off the ground. Free ranging birds get worms too, if their feet touch the ground...they will get worms eventually.
It's always recommended to rotate wormers. I've rotated with valbazen, safeguard, added pyrantal pamote and have used zimectrin gold for tapeworms. These wormers usually have 2 to 3 year expiration dates.
As far as resistance goes, the best example I can think of is antibiotics given to patients by doctors for every nitnoid sneeze or hangnail that they might have. Alot of antibiotics for people are useless because of the indiscriminate administering and use of these drugs. It wasnt until a few years ago they've become aware of human resistance and are cracking down. More recently the Feds are cracking down on too much antibiotics being administered to livestock in commercial operations, maybe you heard about it in the media. I suppose the long term effect is showing itself in humans.

I've been looking for pyrantal pamote and have found it in two forms - liquid and paste.

The paste is a horse dewormer named Exodus and the mfg info says: 43.9% w/w pyrantel pamoate in an inert vehicle. Each 23.6 g single-dose syringe contains 3.6 grams pyrantel base in 23.6 grams paste. Each milliliter contains 171 milligrams pyrantel base as pyrantel pamoate.

The liquid is packaged for humans as Reese's Pinworm Medicine and the mfg info says: : in each 1mL: Pyrantel Pamoate - 144 mg/mL (Anthelmintic)

If I'm reading this correctly it just boils down to: Paste is 171 mg per milliliter and the Liquid is 144 mg per milliliter. Am I correct there?

Which form of the pyrantal pamote do you use/prefer, and what dosage do you use? Do you repeat after a certain number of days?

Thanks again!

I know that 1ml of Safeguard paste weighs one gram (yes, I weighed it
big_smile.png
), so 1ml of Exodus might weigh the same. One tube has 3600mg and if 1ml does weigh 1 gram, then 1ml of paste will have 152.54mg (3600/23.6 = 152.54).

I'll check on the dose amount for birds.

-Kathy

Disclaimer: Check my math, haven't had my caffeine yet!

Frome: http://valleyvet.naccvp.com/index.php?m=product_view_basic&u=country&p=msds&id=1399063
For Oral Use in Horses Only
Exodus
00ae.png
Paste (pyrantel pamoate) is a pale yellow to buff paste containing 43.9% w/w pyrantel pamoate in an inert vehicle. Each 23.6 g single-dose syringe contains 3.6 grams pyrantel base in 23.6 grams paste. Each 47.2 g multi-dose syringe contains 7.2 grams pyrantel base in 47.2 grams paste. Each milliliter contains 171 milligrams pyrantel base as pyrantel pamoate.

DOSAGE AND TREATMENT
Exodus
00ae.png
Paste (pyrantel pamoate) is to be administered as a single oral dose of 3 milligrams pyrantel base per pound of body weight. The 23.6 g syringe has four weight mark increments. The 47.2 g syringe has eight weight mark increments. Each weight mark indicates the recommended dose for 300 pounds of body weight. One-half 47.2 g syringe treats a 1200 lb horse.
DOSAGE for Single-Dose 23.6 g Syringe:
Body Weight Range

Quantity

mg Pyrantel Base

up to 300 lb

1/4 syringe

900 mg
301 to 600 lb

1/2 syringe

1800 mg
601 to 900 lb

3/4 syringe

2700 mg
901 to 1200 lb

1 full syringe

3600 mg

Last edited:
I havnt used the pyrantel pamoate paste. I have used the liquid, 3ml given orally to each chicken, redose again 10 days later.
But the liquid you have is probably 50mg/ml and the liquid the the OP posted about is 144mg/ml, so almost 3 times as strong.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

I just found a third pyrantel suspension and it has just 4.54mg/ml!

Reese for humans - 144mg/ml
Generic for large animals - 50mg/ml
Nemex 2 - 4.54mg/ml

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom