Does any one use ivermectin in chickens ?

So did I say somewhere that it *would* kill poultry lice? To the best of my knowledge, I only said that it worked on lice that a horse of mine had.

-Kathy

I'm sorry if your wishing for a debate but I'm not the kind. After dosing the roo that got missed, I'll have the answer to my question before the weekend I'm betting

Here are the types of lice for you to take a look at with a pic and description of each. Note: Under "Chewing Lice;" scroll down to the 4th paragraph where it states that biting lice do NOT suck blood. They will lap it up if the skin is irritated or from an open wound where blood is present. In this instance, ivermectin would be effective. In most instances this isn't the case because lice feed mainly off dander, scales, feathers making ivermectin worthless unless mites are involved. Lice are 6 legged, mites 8 legged.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig140

Thanks dawg and I appreciate the link again but these were no doubt lice and that's why I'm trying to grasp what happened to them. My birds weren't to the point of pitiful looking...no scabs or wounds other than some minor scrapes from breeding, but even that doesn't explain what happened to the ones on the roos. Certainly not enough to validate their complete disappearing act. The birds were covered, any feather that was moved to look at the skin you could easily see several.

I know you don't know me from Adam and it's understandable to doubt whether or not a person knows for certain what sort of pest they have but all I can do is re-assure and hope to be believed. The mites I had looked nothing like the lice, and going by your link and the many other online sources with pics for verification, I'm unable to find any variety of mite that even resembles lice

If my lone roo comes up lice free in a short while, I have no choice but to believe that ivermectin kills lice...at least the type we have around here.

Kathy, I again apologize...let's assume you never stated such a thing. It just gets frustrating looking for answers to a problem that so many people have had experience with and come up with so much conflicting info. Backyard chickens is THE fastest growing hobby and I foresee a lot of folks being turned off by such a hobby simply because they tried what they were told or read and it failed, and therefore resigning from the great hobby of chicken keeping and its many benefits.

I'm all about experiments these days and I mean this in the nicest way possible, really, I do. I'd love if you could do it for me. Next time you find one infested with lice, take pictures, dose it with ivermectin, place it in a dog crate that it can't dust bathe in, then check it daily and write a detailed report on what you observe. Lots of pictures would be great!

-Kathy

While I understand that in our busy lifestyle s we are all looking for a 'quick ' fix. I know of at least 2 people that have overdosed their bantams with ivermectin, with death being the outcome. I'm simply not prepared to take the chance. Yes vets do use ivermectin in dogs and cats but they too have experienced losses.

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2344&Itemid=2996
Dosing a small bantam with the recommended dose of .2mg/kg would be very hard to do. One of mine weighs just 250 grams, so if my math is correct, it would get .005ml of 1% ivermectin. The smallest drop I have been able to give is .01ml, and that was by using a 22 gauge needle to reduce the drop size.

Please correct me if my math is wrong, lol.

-Kathy

Dosing a small bantam with the recommended dose of .2mg/kg would be very hard to do. One of mine weighs just 250 grams, so if my math is correct, it would get .005ml of 1% ivermectin. The smallest drop I have been able to give is .01ml, and that was by using a 22 gauge needle to reduce the drop size.

Please correct me if my math is wrong, lol.

-Kathy

I'll let you do the math! I just prefer to err on the side of caution.

Back
Top Bottom