1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anybody do fecal tests on their own chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hencackle, Mar 27, 2007.

1. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    If so, where is the best place to get your supplies?

Also, if you took a sample to the vet's office, did you tell them it was for a chicken?

Stephanie

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

[​IMG]

I know, EMBARRASSED!

I still haven't been able to talk myself into buying cat food for my molting chickens, even though my sister says it is the very best thing. What if someone sees me doing it? [​IMG]

So no, I haven't ever done taken a fecal sample to the vet, or done it myself at home either.

3. Monk

Monk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    A stool sample??? Never heard of that one... Do you see something unusual in their feces???

4. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    My daughter works for a vet and I worked in a human medical lab for years analysing body fluids / specimens.

In the case of a chicken use a clean plastic or glass container (run it through the dishwasher or wash with hot water and rinse), can be a used yogurt container or jar...anything with a lid, or just use a zip-type baggie. Take a plastic disposable spoon and scoop the poop, looking for the most suspicious stuff...any things that look like worms or worm eggs, blood, really mucosy stuff, ... Close the container and deliver it within the hour to the vet's office. Keep cool by placing it in a larger bag of ice if the weather is really hot or you will be more than an hour. Just be sure that both bags or containers are sealed so one does not leak into the other. Be sure the specimen stays cool but delivering it quickly is the most important. Organisms do not survive long (the cells burst and small single-celled parasites quit moving/die) and it is hard enough to find parasites in a fresh specimen. Don't expect much if you leave it sitting for a few hours.

There is nothing odd about body fluids. I've analysed them all. Body fluids can tell us more than you know about health...

5. salty

salty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Derry, NH
    Cat food for molting???

6. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I have seen several articles about testing fecal samples yourself. I think you must have a microscope though. There are special ways to fix the slides and a picture list of what they look like. I would google "how to test fecal samples for worms" . You could post for us all if you figure it out? [​IMG]

Best of luck! Henz

7. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Quote:The extra protein helps with the moulting process. Helps them re-grow feathers. I'd never be embarrased to buy cat food for chickens, they love it. And who'd ever know you didn't have a cat? Henz

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  8. hoosiergal

hoosiergal Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2008
    indiana
    is the cat food canned or dry??

9. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

dry cat food [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by