1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anybody get FLACK from Family and Friends for having Chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cheeptrick, Feb 10, 2008.

1. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I'm tired of being teased about having chickens...
    it's borderline harassment now! [​IMG]
    Some can be truly rude!! :thun
    I actually cried about it today! Thinking about quitting a job over it!! Bunch of jerks....wish they could hear how ignorant they SOUND! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  2. Arklady

Arklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Kansas
    Yes, I still get crap over it and I don't care. I said if you can't say anything nice to me about it say nothing. I don't say anything about your {insert stupid hobby here} do I?

Arklady

3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Na mine just call me the crazy chicken women. I love it and they love the eggs I give them.

4. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Well...I've decided that anyone who makes an ignorant comment about my chickens NO longer will get eggs free or FOR a FEE!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. ilovemychickies

ilovemychickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Just ignore them. Most of the time people do that just to get on your nerves or try to get you to live the way that they want you to live. Usually if you just brush it of and keep going they will eventually get bored and not bother you anymore. I hope things get better! [​IMG]

6. Nick

Nick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    They know better then to give me flack..... they won't get any eggs [​IMG]

7. muddler6

muddler6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Jefferson County, PA
    I get the occassional chuckle, but then I get the "hey if you have any extra eggs....." shortly after that. My family, who was in the chicken business, before my time, thought I had gone a little looney and everyone of them said "have you lost you mind?" But I know my Grandfather is smiling down on me saying, "That a boy!" If you don't let them see that it gets to you they will leave you alone about it and go on to the next person.

8. bamagirl68

bamagirl68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    central alabama
    It bothers me that people think my chickens are nasty. They ask "do we eat the eggs"? Well, duh! Look at the pictures of the chickens that produce those supermarket eggs! I know my chickens are healthy and are being fed and watered properly. And are in a clean enviroment. And my eggs don't get that nice chemical bath that the grocery one's get. It bothers me!

9. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a friend that always makes comments about me and my crazy things I do. I like her anyway.. [​IMG] When she asked me for eggs, I told her that they were "dirty little creatures that smell bad and are not worth the work put into them..." I actually got an apology out of her! I did however charge her for the eggs....LOL [​IMG]

10. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    At first, yes, people thought I was insane. Then they kind of got over it. After a while, that changed to, "If you ever have any extra eggs...?"

My mother was sure I was mad as a hatter/March hare, and then when she saw the baby peeps she was immediately won over by the inexorable force of the cuteness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by