Does anybody get FLACK from Family and Friends for having Chickens?

Quote:
I'm wondering what they said that made you feel bad? Its only because your chickens are so special to you that it is so upsetting. You need to have a few things to say up your sleeve. For example......they are so sweet that at the end of the day, seeing them makes up for all the idiots i have had to deal with. That is a slam whether they get it or not. Anyway that was just an example.....it depends on the situation. I'm lucky, i would make them regret even bringing up the subject. But you are nice....so you will need to find a 'suitable for you' answer to people like that. The bottom line is that you dont care what they think because YOU love your chickens and if they dont like it.......send them over to see me......remember i am only 10 minutes from you and i will gladly enlighten them for you
wink.png

My sisters think I'm nuts. They can't believe I'm hatching and raising chickens and turkeys. They didn't think I would like any kind of farming. Makes me sad that they really don't know me very well. The chickens actually relax me, they are my stress relief. If I need to get away, I go down to the barn.
wee.gif

My hubby's boss actually called him into his office and chewed him out about bring grass in on the carpet. He assumed since we live in the country and don't have a manacured lawn that he was the only one that would track in grass. How lame...I know! You can imagine the ragging he gets for the animals...

When I first mentioned getting chickens a few people made comments and a couple (showing their own ignorance) thought I was going to go into commercial chicken farming. Yep - thats gonna happen on my one acre with a house on it. LOL
So many people just do not understand. Some people have rats for pets, some people have lizards or snakes. Some like us have chickens. Why let what anyone says to you bother you.
Just walk softly and carry a big stick. They don't call me "Runs With Scissors" for nothing.

Yep!!!
It's mostly the my age cookie cutter neighbours that have a problem with me having chickens...the older ones had no problem...

All ya gotta tell these jealous superficial folks is that at least my chicken doesn't lick it's butt...

I get called the chicken lady at work, but no one is mean about it. I just smile and say "yep that's me". My 15 year old son doesn't like them. He is embarrassed that I have a chicken living in our garage (only because the other hens pick on her), and he says I ignore him, but I don't. He is the one that doesn't want to spend time with me. Anyway, I say ignore those who rib ya. I love my hobby and it isn't a lot of work. Besides I will never have to buy eggs again:)

I'm sorry they are doing that to you.
hugs.gif
At my last job, there were a couple people who would bug me about it (not to be mean, per se... just picking on me) and make stupid comments. Well, guess what? I invited them over to meet the girls! My old boss brought his three year old daughter, who LOVED them, and the other guy thought the Silkies were the funniest thing! They never bothered me after that. If anything, they'd ask how the "a-fro" chickens were doing!
I think people just don't know they have personalities and feelings like a cat or dog does. Once my friends saw that they did, they were much more accepting and interested in them.

Edited to add: My old boss gave me the most flack about them (before he saw how his three year old loved them) so I decided to buy him his own "flock". I bought him a little rooster and four little hens made of plastic, about two inches high, for him to keep in his office!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom