Help and advice please

Going for an amendment to the ordinances is actually a great idea! A lot of these laws and ordinances are old and outdated - times change, animal ownership changes, etc. This happened in our town, too, except in the other direction - grumpy neighbors used vague ordinances to demand that chickens be restricted or downright banned. So I led a revolution, got the town's chicken owners together to protest and petition and the Board of Health ended up rewriting the animal ownership ordinance with specific language addressing (and protecting) chickens. It can be done! Good luck!

Yeah, the ordinances here are very vague and outdated. For instance it allows for 2 head of livestock per acre. The woman in question has 2.7 acres which basically allows for 5 horses, yet she is keeping 6.

The problem is that as it is written, that ordinance would allow for a person to maximize the amount of residential living space on their property and allow for a minimal amount of space for livestock. In other words, she could have 2 acres devoted to residential living space (house, lawn for themselves etc,) and devote only 0.7 acres for her 6 horses which is basically what she is doing ( the daily stench of manure from her property is another issue I am dealing with).

I am encouraging the BoS to change that livestock ordinance to say " 2 head of livestock per available pasture acre "

I'm finishing up my presentation to the BoS in the next day or so, if anyone is interested in proofreading it and giving me feedback on it's fairness and accuracy I'd appreciate it. There are many responsible mini-farm owners in the area that are very responsible when it comes to keeping fowl and livestock so I want to make sure I come across as fair and reasonable to them, especially since one is a local township supervisor.

There are many responsible mini-farm owners in the area that are very responsible when it comes to keeping fowl and livestock so I want to make sure I come across as fair and reasonable to them, especially since one is a local township supervisor.
You might want to check with some of those local people. Since they are already doing things that work well, they are probably a great source of ideas for what can work well and what will cause problems.

Back
Top Bottom