1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Does anybody have african crowned cranes?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by ninny, Dec 11, 2009.

1. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I never even HEARD of these. Wow!![​IMG]

2. horseshoecreekranch

horseshoecreekranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Quote:We raise mostly turkeys and I would love to get my hands on some Ocellated turkeys. He has some nice pairs. They almost look like a turkey/peafowl cross. Very impressive looking birds.

3. 2ducky

2ducky Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2009
    Stony Plain, AB
    There is a guy in British Columbia that has some. I you want contact info let me know.

4. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    I do, if you dont mine PM it to me. I am very interested, Sid just hasnt had much luck on production yet, but I've been after him for some too. So glad to hear some one else has some!
    Thanks
    Aubrey
    P.S. Yes I know they cost a fortune too, but I have all the wild turkeys except goulds (if anyone has them Let me know too)
    Ans easterns, they just arent allowed as they are our local strain here.

5. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:how much?

6. chickyeyes

chickyeyes New Egg

Feb 18, 2009
    oregon
    No I don't but I have seen them in the McMurray Catalog before. They are gorgeous!! and very expensive, but would be worth it.[​IMG]

7. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    Quote:Do you have any of the Austrailian Brush Turkeys? I saw a pair at a sale a couple years ago really cool bird but sound like quite the pain to keep.

8. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Interesting, a few things I'm wondering. What is the special treatment these birds require for housing, care, what is their temperament towards people? I doubt I'd ever own them, but definitely something new [​IMG].

-Daniel.

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:Do you have any of the Austrailian Brush Turkeys? I saw a pair at a sale a couple years ago really cool bird but sound like quite the pain to keep.

I dont, Sid may, and I have seen them for sale in the Game Bird Gazette quite often, they are high too!

10. philter4

philter4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Placerville CA
    Quote:I have kept an Australian brush turkey for a couple of months. They are not actually turkeys but are in the family Megapodiidae, they are mound builders. I have never bred them or know of anyone that has, but that doesn't mean someone isn't doing it. I had a single male, but they live communally and share a nest that is a huge pile of leaves and dirt and the compost creates heat that incubates the eggs. If the outside temps get too hot they remove material from above the eggs, if it gets too cold they add material back on the nest. The male I had was a very beautiful display bird, but he was not actually mine so I only had him on the property for a few months before he went to his permanent home.

I am putting a deposit on a pair of ocellated turkeys next month, I'm first in line for this years hatch. They will be ready to sex by November and I'll get them sometime after that. I have wanted them ever since I saw the first one in a zoo about 12 years ago. The only other bird I am really looking for is a Congo peafowl, another one that is way out of my budget but if I see a pair for sale I'll find a way to come up with the money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by