Does anybody have african crowned cranes?

I never even HEARD of these. Wow!!
smile.png

Quote:
We raise mostly turkeys and I would love to get my hands on some Ocellated turkeys. He has some nice pairs. They almost look like a turkey/peafowl cross. Very impressive looking birds.

I do, if you dont mine PM it to me. I am very interested, Sid just hasnt had much luck on production yet, but I've been after him for some too. So glad to hear some one else has some!
Thanks
Aubrey
P.S. Yes I know they cost a fortune too, but I have all the wild turkeys except goulds (if anyone has them Let me know too)
Ans easterns, they just arent allowed as they are our local strain here.

No I don't but I have seen them in the McMurray Catalog before. They are gorgeous!! and very expensive, but would be worth it.
wink.png

Interesting, a few things I'm wondering. What is the special treatment these birds require for housing, care, what is their temperament towards people? I doubt I'd ever own them, but definitely something new
big_smile.png

-Daniel.

Quote:
Do you have any of the Austrailian Brush Turkeys? I saw a pair at a sale a couple years ago really cool bird but sound like quite the pain to keep.

I dont, Sid may, and I have seen them for sale in the Game Bird Gazette quite often, they are high too!

Quote:
I have kept an Australian brush turkey for a couple of months. They are not actually turkeys but are in the family Megapodiidae, they are mound builders. I have never bred them or know of anyone that has, but that doesn't mean someone isn't doing it. I had a single male, but they live communally and share a nest that is a huge pile of leaves and dirt and the compost creates heat that incubates the eggs. If the outside temps get too hot they remove material from above the eggs, if it gets too cold they add material back on the nest. The male I had was a very beautiful display bird, but he was not actually mine so I only had him on the property for a few months before he went to his permanent home.

I am putting a deposit on a pair of ocellated turkeys next month, I'm first in line for this years hatch. They will be ready to sex by November and I'll get them sometime after that. I have wanted them ever since I saw the first one in a zoo about 12 years ago. The only other bird I am really looking for is a Congo peafowl, another one that is way out of my budget but if I see a pair for sale I'll find a way to come up with the money.

Back
Top Bottom