does anybody have any rabbit questions

Quote:
I have a question about rabbits. Can they live in the henhouse? with the hens? I was just wondering if a rabbit could run around on the floor in the same area as the chickens, or would they fight, or would the chickens kill the rabbit, or vice, versa? Just curious! Thanks, Kristy

Rabbits react badly to two things that chicken coops are noted for: dust and ammonia.

I would definitely house them out of the coop unless you are keeping them together in a well-ventilated barn. But in a small coop, I think they would fare badly.

And as was said, a rabbits natural inclination is to burrow. Rabbits in a chicken run are no exception. Prepare for that.

Wayne

Last edited:
Quote:
I am no expert with rabbits, I have some rabbits and have done lots of reading though. And I just pulled out my ARBA Official Guide Book, and it says that it doesn't always work. Sometimes a pregnant doe will let the buck breed to her again. And that a doe has two cervical openings and the uterine horns aren't connected. So a doe can be pregnant in one horn, but not the other. Her body can then ovulate again (in the horn that is not pregnant), and conceive a litter in that uterine horn (thus making her pregnant in both horns). This makes many difficulties. In the end, it can kill all fetuses and your doe. I personally would not do it.

Quote:
I have a question about rabbits. Can they live in the henhouse? with the hens? I was just wondering if a rabbit could run around on the floor in the same area as the chickens, or would they fight, or would the chickens kill the rabbit, or vice, versa? Just curious! Thanks, Kristy

Rabbits react badly to two things that chicken coops are noted for: dust and ammonia.

I would definitely house them out of the coop unless you are keeping them together in a well-ventilated barn. But in a small coop, I think they would fare badly.

And as was said, a rabbits natural inclination is to burrow. Rabbits in a chicken run are no exception. Prepare for that.

Wayne

Weve got a rabbit in with our chickens in there coop and run. Never had any problems with it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom