Does anyone else have this problem?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Duker17, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Duker17

Duker17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Missouri
    All winter I spend hours and hours looking at hatchery websites and catalogs until I have my order perfectly planned. I put my order in for mid-March so it won't be too cold during shipping, I get my brooder set up and wait *patiently* for my chicks to arrive. Go to the feed store to get dog food and find out they're getting chicks next week. I immediately start thinking about what feed I will be out of next week so I have an excuse to go back to buy some! Why can't I ever just stick to my plan?! Good thing it's going to be warm this week, I need to start working on a new coop!

2. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    [​IMG] CHICKEN MATH at work! [​IMG]

3. clacasse88

clacasse88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Where are you located? That does seem early for the feed store to be starting to be getting chicks. [​IMG]

My feed store usually doesn't start bringing them in for a couple of months.

4. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    Our feed store will have the chicks in the first week of March and I am forbidden to go to the feed store alone then. LOL [​IMG]

Yeah frobidden like thats gonna work. [​IMG]

5. Justanother Brooke

Justanother Brooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Goldendale, WA
    Our local (45 minutes away, [​IMG]) feed store got their chicks in last Thursday, but the next closest one (hour and a half away) said another 2-4 weeks.

6. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    I have 2 new chicks in the laundry room. Even with an order placed to mypetchicken I gave in. [​IMG] Oh dear...

Ahhh well... FLLLLUUFFFYY BUUTTTTTSSS!!!! [​IMG]

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My feed store is getting chicks in on Thursday, Feb 24th. I confirmed it today, when I was picking up feed. So I got a bit more than I usually need, and next visit I will do the same, so I don't visit the feed store the very first week of Chick Season.

It's absolutely insane that I should worry about this, as I have had chicks all winter from my hatching endeavors. Chicks in the brooder now, eggs in the 'bators now.

And the feed store is completing a MAJOR overhaul of its chick area - no more big metal horse troughs, but walls of stacked cabinets with nipple water system and clear glass front doors. It's gonna be so pretty! They already have the signs up on each separate cabinet....

8. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    My feed store is getting their first shipment in on Wednesday. I will have next 16 weeks to try and stick to my plan of not buying a single chick since I've been hatching for the past 2 months!

Yeah, who am I kidding? [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  9. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    gryeyes - which store do you go to? Western Feed have their chicks in Carmichael and Orangevale, River Valley have theirs already too

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Bradshaw Feed & Pet Supply, Bradshaw Ave at Florin Rd. They have chicks from mid February to mid October.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by