Does anyone else think anything over 90* is excessive, not necessary?

Pics

SandyRiverChick

Free Ranging
14 Years
Jun 7, 2009
Brightwood, OR
My Coop
My Coop
I add babies every couple years, have been for 20years. I have NEVER let my chick brooder get hotter than about 85* and that's just day 1 through 5. After than it's around 75-80. It just seems way to hot to start at 100. Yet everything you read as a newbie says start at 100*.... I just don't. And they're great. I have a mommy hut to go under if they get cold but that's certainly not 100* either. Just curious how many people don't agree with excessive heat....

I add babies every couple years, have been for 20years. I have NEVER let my chick brooder get hotter than about 85* and that's just day 1 through 5. After than it's around 75-80. It just seems way to hot to start at 100. Yet everything you read as a newbie says start at 100*.... I just don't. And they're great. I have a mommy hut to go under if they get cold but that's certainly not 100* either. Just curious how many people don't agree with excessive heat....
Overheating chicks is a problem. Brooders really shouldn't be greater than 90. I've even had chicks pancake at 90, water and everything. I once saw a person with their chick brooder at 120 degrees.

I also agree with the others who agree with the standards of practice. I keep a large open air brooder, with one heat source in a corner and feed and water placed about half way between the warm and cold side. Most chicks never stay directly under the lamp past the first few days, but the temperature never really changes, they just have options because of the large area. I'm sure different conditions would play a factor, I've brooded using this method mostly inside in cold months so the house is also warm.

I think as a general rule that 90 to start is fine, and that dropping temps down more aggressively is the way to go (5 degrees every week takes way too long), but I also brood outdoors now so ambient temperature is whatever it happens to be. I lower the heat on my heating pad every 5 days or so, depending on temperatures outside, feathering on the chicks, and how much/little they want to use the heat source.

After watching broody hens raise babies in all weather, all you really need is the warm draft free area. In fact a broody-less group would actually puppy pile in the cold area at night - it was only in the morning after eating and drinking that they would go back to the warming area. Mostly ... just watch and listen. If they won't go to the warm area, it's probably too hot. If there's distressed peeping, the warm area isn't warm enough. Except that one chick who learns distressed peeps bring you running with a nice warm hand to cuddle in. (then you're buggered)

Back
Top Bottom