Does anyone else want to smash their waterers?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sara, Jan 16, 2009.

1. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I am so tired of frozen waterers. I could just smash every single last one of them. I don't have any electric in a few of my pens out back, so those freeze. Even if they are empty they are frozen shut.. [​IMG]

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Mine froze today just by being on the floor of the barn. I have power
    and propane heat and they still froze.

With all the chicken, rabbit, at quail waterers we have it makes more
    sense for me to just heat the entire barn.

Now, in my still sick condition, I need to go carry them into the house to defrost. Yucko!

3. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I feel like that's all i've done for days. Carry waterers out, bring the others in to thaw. Then repeat. [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Hey one of our members here broke his ribs yesterday trying to unscrew the darned thing. Of course I laughed at him, but it's really a pain in the rear isn't it.

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:Really? Who?

6. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I've gone out 3 times today so far to haul hot water out to the goats and chickens. I'm sick of it and its 30* here and it will be in the 50's again by next week. Can't imagine what you northerners are going through.

7. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    benn changeing water in the waters 2 times a day and carrying trach cans of water on the back of a picup to the horses we have heaters in the horse troughs but the hose is frozen now oh well.

8. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    sara you got gifted!

9. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Get those black rubber Fortiflex pans. Those are super easy to get the ice out. And they are fairly cheap.

10. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Me too...and they worked really well until my chickens / ducks would walk through them & get wet. Then die. [​IMG] Now that it's "warmed up" to the mid-20s they seem to be doing okay with those. I just ended up getting a big of cheap-o plastic waterers from the feedstore and I just rotate them. I bring some in at night, while taking the others out and I do that twice a day on weekdays and three times on weekends.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by