does anyone ever get used to killing and eating their birds

Quote:
Oh that is so sad and im sorry to hear that you were so upset and that your rooster was hurt so badly, i would be very upset to see any of my animals hurt too.

Quote:
Oh that is so sad and im sorry to hear that you were so upset and that your rooster was hurt so badly, i would be very upset to see any of my animals hurt too.

Thank you, I have a tear in my eye just writing about it.

I only have 5 week old chicks. They are my first flock and I got chickens that are dual purpose. I decided to get chickens after learning about and wanting to be more self sufficient in these hard times. I hear about wars and natural disasters and can't stop the feeling that I need to be as self sufficient as I can. I have water and food storage and now chickens. I think when time comes to kill one it will be hard but it is for the purpose chicken were intended for. I asked almost the same post before and many said it is not as hard when you respect your food and give thanks for it. For thousands of years men and women had to kill every animal by hand for every meal. I think doing it once in a while will be ok, and I will feel a lot better doing it after watching YouTube videos of slaughter houses of all kinds of animals! I would say...watch a few of those videos and then when it comes time for you to do it, you will feel more positive about the chicken and it's life! I have a few roosters that came out of pullet runs and if I can't sell them we will be grateful for what we have been given and I will be VERY glad that my chicken did not grow up stuffed in a tiny box with 8 other chickens, in pain, in the dark with no human contact, treats, room to move, or love. I think that after I do it once And feel ok with it, I might be able to get just meat birds next year to raise so I don't contribute to these horrible slaughter farms. If strong and meek women throughout the ages could do this every day, I can be strong enough to support my family this way too. I just hope I can eat them too at the end. LOL!!!!! Good luck on the future and let me know how things go on!!! I would appreciate it!

Yes, you get used to it. The first couple birds I butchered myself, I tried to eat and I chewed and chewed and it was like my throat had a lump in it and I just couldn't swallow. So, after that, I didn't attempt to eat any for a while, they just sat in my freezer for like 6 weeks. Then one day I cooked one, and found it didnt bother me. So, that is what I suggest at first, do not attempt to eat the day of or day after the butcher. Wrap em up, freeze them, and eat them several weeks later after the slaughter is no longer fresh in your mind. This was several years ago, and now I am to the point I can butcher and eat them the same day.

Quote:
That is great advice, thankyou I think this is a way that will work for me.

I killed 4 ligt brahma roo's 2 weeks ago.
celebrate.gif
It was my first time slaughtering and preparing poultry. I did a pretty good job . I researched the BYC's posts on killing and preparing chickens before I "did the deed".
caf.gif
In fact, I have been considering getting some sort of dual purpose birds to have for food.
jumpy.gif
: cd I really felt good that I learned to do this.
Several years ago, a neighbor brought me some catfish that he had caught. I thought I'd be a tough girl and clean them. Catfish used to be one of my favorite meals. After cleaning them, I couldn't eat catfish ever again. I think the odor just about killed me!
th.gif
I know I turned several shades of green.
gig.gif
Cleaning chickens is a piece of cake compared to preparing stinkin' fish!

I could totally understand that feeling! When we get back state-side I will raise them and pay someone else to slaughter.

I have processed around a dozen now and am quite used to it. It just takes a while for the idea of their intended purpose to set in. There is a subset of our chickens that we got for the purpose of eating. They had happy lives and were well cared for. When the time came, their end was quick with as little stress as possible. Nothing is wasted as I always make stock and composted the inedible bits. Sure, I don't enjoy processing chickens, but then I think about a commercial bird I realize that the quality and length of life of my birds is far greater.

Things were much much easier when I got a quality knife and wasn't worried about whether the cut was good. Here is the knife:
Cutco Drop Point Hunting Knife (Serrated version)

Last edited:
I have never had any chickens I have raised slaughtered as I use the hens for eggs and have a rooster to keep the flock growing. But after my 30 egg chickens or while I have them (if i can fit them in) I would like to try some meat birds any type you recommend? And I understand how it might be hard to eat them but hey the chickens were loved, lived comfortably, and now are yummy food

Back
Top Bottom