Does anyone experience lower backpain? *UPDATE on Post #1*

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tabsmonsters, Oct 21, 2008.

1. tabsmonsters

tabsmonsters Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    Going on my 3rd day of horrible lower back pain, this time around. It comes and goes a couple times a month. Hurts the most when I sit, or bend over. I fell and landed on my tailbone a few times in my teens and 2 winters ago. I have went to the doc the last time it was bothering me and she gave me muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories but they just aren't working. I have tried Tylenol, Aleve, and 1600 mg Motrin, and they don't work either. I think my doc may think I am faking it, but its hurting so bad right now and I can feel it in my stomach and sometimes it travels down my legs. She tried telling me women get lower back pain a lot and it helps to stretch. I think it could be attributed to the falls I have had and maybe to the fact I had an epidural with both kids. It hurts in that area. I don't know how to convey to the doc that I need something STRONG without sounding like a drug addict! Any suggestions ? I have an 8:30 a.m appt with her tomorrow.

*UPDATE*

I saw the doc today and she ordered an x-ray. I should find out tomorrow what the findings are. I actually have a bladder infection. I haven't shown any symptoms, so it was a shocker! She said that it could be the cause of the pain, but she wanted to do the x-rays just to make sure it wasn't something else. She also mentioned doing stretches again. She gave me another muscle relaxer, antibiotic for the infection and some painkillers, so I am not feeling too bad now. I hope the pain is just from the infection and not something more serious. I am happy to know it wasn't just my imagination or being a wuss! Thanks for all your replies!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. Queen Scoot

Queen Scoot Crochet Chieftess

May 27, 2008
    HOOKERVILLE!!!
    have you had a urine test done? sounds like you might have a kidney infection...when i have had them my lower back hurt real bad.

3. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Very similar to yours, as a child I was running through the surf and fell and hit something with my back. Been "dealing" with it ever since. Was told, "yer to young for back pain". I think I have disk problems but have never gone and had it looked at. I am curious what your sawbones tells ya. Let us know.

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I do stretches on a ballet bar twice a week, along with other exercises. I find the "cat" stretch is the most helpful for my lower back. Also I work out my abs, I find if I keep my abs strong it helps my lower back.

5. tabsmonsters

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    Quote:No, I haven't been tested for that. Last time I was at the doc was about 4 months ago. I have had pain in this area for a long time, off and on, but this is the worst it has been in awhile.

6. derby

derby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    Or kidney stones....I had sharp pains with mine, but my dad had a persistent dull ache with his. I've been having a similar problem for the past two months. Have I gone to the doctor yet? Noooooo....sometimes it feels in the pelvis, sometimes the bottom of my kidneys [​IMG]

7. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    If its traveling down your leg its most like ciatic nerve pain. My husband has nerve damage to his left side and has constant muscle spasms. It can come and go but he says the pain is best described as a constant electrical shock type pain.

8. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay find a doctor who will order you an MRI immediately.
    If your doctor won't then see a neurologist or neurosurgeon who you really should see anyway.
    I had the same thing you describe, fell and they told me a hurt my tailbone.
    Then I had excrutiating pain down my leg so that I couldn't even walk.
    Still was told its because women get that sometimes.
    I eventually was crawling to get to the bathroom or whereever because the pain was so bad that I couldn't stand upright and I couldn't use my leg, also never got any sleep.
    I saw a neurologist who had me hospitalized aright away.
    WHen I was in his office he noticed that I had what they call dropped foot, I had absolutely no control over my foot, it just hung there and I couldn't feel him sticking needles in the bottom of it.
    At the hospital(the same one where the ER had given me the brush off too saying its probably a spasm) they ordered an MRI and a surgeon operated Immediately, he said it was the largest disc herniation he had ever seen in his career and couldn't imagine how I was getting around.
    Because the doctors gave me the brushoff for so long I have permanent nerve damage in my leg and my foot is numb.
    If you are taking muscle relaxers and they don't work its probably not muscle and probably bone, disc etc.
    Please don't let this go and don't let them give you the run around,find someone who will listen to your concerns and take you seriously.
    Get an MRI, it will show any disc problems.
    Best of luck and PLEASE keep us posted on how you are.

9. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Ummm you really need to see a chiropractor...I would be an absolute mess right now If I didn't believe they could help:>) When I start getting achy now I just go for an adjustment now and feel so much better.
    I also used to get alot of what you are now experiencing...and the epidural spot used to KILL me in the mornings...i couldn't even breathe and it really felt like my back was broken. I believe it was from a spinal fluid blockage perhaps from scar tissue from the epidurals. Anyway...you really should make a believer out of yourself and go see a chiropractor;)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  10. tabsmonsters

Apr 27, 2007
    Laclede County, MO
    Quote:I have had those too, but this doesn't feel like that. Its just an intense throb and a sense of "fullness" in the area. Does that make sense?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by