Does anyone have an AT&T 3G Microcell?

One Acre Wonder Farm

Songster
10 Years
Feb 20, 2009
Vermont
We do not have cell coverage at our home
sad.png

AT&T (my wireless carrier) sent me a letter last week about AT&T 3G Microcell. For $150 I could have 5 bar coverage over a 5,000sq ft area at home (by connecting it to my DSL modem). It is awfully tempting... I could dump my landline and actually justify the insane amount of money I spend on our cellphones each month.

Anyone have one? Pros? Cons? I'm worried that as soon as I buy one they'll put up a tower nearby making my $150 purchase a stupid impulse buy on my part
roll.png

Quote:
I don't have one but...

How much are you paying for a land line? 30 bucks a month? How many months would it take to make up the cost of the 150 purchase? And maybe you can ask someone if there are plans on adding a cell tower in your area, or ask if you could have one in the area just to see if there is enough people in the area that may already have the ball rolling on getting one installed. If it sounds like there may be one on the way, wait it out, if it sounds like they have no plans, or the community rules have decided it is a no-go for aesthetics reasons, go ahead and plop down the 150. That's just the cost of one month of cell service for most family plans.

I'd also look into the technology and read up some reviews to make sure the home coverage thing actually works well, as in do hills, concrete vs stucco vs wood walls affect it's performance to see if you have to be in the same room as the transponder for it to work well.

Yes, it is a one-time fee of $150. It does however go on to say that "you could even save $100 off the purchase price when you add an AT&T Unlimited MicroCell Calling feature to your 3G handset, individual and family plans only $19.99 a month and include unlimited domestic calling from your home on your mobile phone when connected through your 3G Microcell." Sounds like I'll be charged per call otherwise.

It is so tempting.... My internet and landline are not bundled, so I could easily ditch the landline... I may try calling AT&T to see if they can tell me when we'll have cell coverage via a nearby tower. If it is in the near future I could just wait but if it won't be for a year or two then I may just jump on this deal!

I briefly looked at it, and all I think that upgrade is for, is if you think you would go over on your plan minutes otherwise. You just use your regular air time when making cell calls.

I know, old thread.

Reviews I've read have been pretty good. Fundamentally I have a problem with paying for a device to make the service (for which I'm already paying) do what it is suppose to do in the first place.

I'm trying to see if the local reps will give us one for free since we have so many lines with them and a few may leave to Verizon if they can't get us better reception.

Back
Top Bottom