Does ANYONE Have Any Questions About Ducks? Anything can be Asked and Everything Will be Answered.

Who has ducks?

• ME!!!

Votes: 45 69.2%
  • Nope!

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Never!

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Thinking about it (good thing to do)!

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
Pics
She lays a egg everyday still. But every time I go out there she is on her back and can’t right herself. She eats and drinks like normal. I do tho have to bring her there. I will get pics this weekend. I was also thinking the same thing about bringing her in. Do you think she also needs some niacin? They get peas and lettuce as treats everyday. They get their duck crumble in their feeder. I didn’t think with their crumble that I would have to d niacin always like I did when they were little but I guess it wouldn’t hurt.
It sounds alot like a vitamin B deficiency. Not just Niacin, but also B6, B12, etc. I would get her cleaned up and give her Vitamin B complex. It sounds like she might have a clogged oil gland also. If you can clean her up and dry her off and then keep her inside to see if she preens and spreads the oil from her tail to the rest of her body that could tell you whether her oil gland is clogged.
I would definitely get her some B complex immediately though.

Even some calcium since she appears to be run down the BComplex liquid plus calcium citrate being she maybe depleated in her calcium reserves also cal citrate can be bought in humans vits section and Liquid b complex can be bought at TSC in the cattle dept. it will say injectable but can be given orally 1 ml daily if you buy human b complex liquid it will be 3 mls daily since it isn’t as concentrated. I believe the cal citrate is 250 mgs a day.

I have no niacin right now. I haven’t given them any since they were little. I also don’t give them calcium. I’ve never had trouble with them laying their eggs daily so I never gave them any. I was told that their food had all of this in there. They also free range all day.

I will definitely get all of the above first thing in morning. We will bathe her and keep her inside until we can figure all of this out. Can I put the b complex in her water since it will be just her drinking it? So far she is eating and drinking on her own when we put it in front of her.
Thank you so much! I will let you know how it all turns out.

Ok. We have given her a bath......she looks 100% better. We scanned every inch of her body and there’s no sign of any injury, which is good. We got the B12 and the calcium and gave it to her. She is now laying in her box (in the house). We shall now wait and see how she does! I’m praying this is all it is is this vitamin deficiency. She was breathing through her mouth when we brought her in. I hope that isn’t a sign of something.

Keep her warm but not overly. This isn’t an over night cure but if there is anyway you can give her both over something yummy she’ll gobble right up giving it to her straight would be best some of our members have been able to use mealworms or peas . If you can’t get her to take it over anything then just keep on doing like you are. I sure hope this is all it is. Nutritional deficiency. Please keep us updated.

Ok. We have given her a bath......she looks 100% better. We scanned every inch of her body and there’s no sign of any injury, which is good. We got the B12 and the calcium and gave it to her. She is now laying in her box (in the house). We shall now wait and see how she does! I’m praying this is all it is is this vitamin deficiency. She was breathing through her mouth when we brought her in. I hope that isn’t a sign of something.
Breathing through her mouth is probably just from stress. The less she is stressed, the better she can get. I hope all goes well with her:hugs

My turn - I promise I'm not freaking out, yet...
I went to let the crazies out of the coop today and the oldest twin, Donella crawled out and was trying to stand but couldn't put any weight on either legs. She was using her wings to balance. I put her in a warm bath and gave her some poultry cell, since that's the only liquid I have atm. She actually let me hold her, which she NEVER does. I checked her legs but I cant tell if something is messed up or not because I dont know what I'm feeling for.
I put her in the dog carrier with a towel and a towel over it to give some privacy. I had to run to the new house though to get bowls for in the carrier so she doesn't spill them.

My turn - I promise I'm not freaking out, yet...
I went to let the crazies out of the coop today and the oldest twin, Donella crawled out and was trying to stand but couldn't put any weight on either legs. She was using her wings to balance. I put her in a warm bath and gave her some poultry cell, since that's the only liquid I have atm. She actually let me hold her, which she NEVER does. I checked her legs but I cant tell if something is messed up or not because I dont know what I'm feeling for.
I put her in the dog carrier with a towel and a towel over it to give some privacy. I had to run to the new house though to get bowls for in the carrier so she doesn't spill them.
It sounds like you are doing everything right.

Back
Top Bottom