Does anyone have children with Aspergers?

Bullet

Songster
11 Years
Jan 14, 2009
Mt. Pleasant
I hope this is okay for this board. My son who is 7 now was diagnosed with aspergers through IEP studies at school. he also has adhd. I do not know very much about either of them. so I was hoping someone might be able to give me some insight on what to look for and what to know. I know we have to discipline him differently we just have not found a way that works yet. so if anyone has any insight I'd really appreciate it!! Thanks!!

this guy we kind of know. his son has aspergers and hes 9 years old. he does theripedic riding they started like 4 months ago and they said its amazing how much it helps

Tony Atwood has written several books on Aspergers including books for parents of Aspie kids. He is usually seen as the most recognized and best authority on this type of autism. His books helped me with my husband who is an aspie

I know a friend on BYC who has a child with aspergers.... I will let her know you are looking for info. Hugs and prayers to you. Nancy

Thanks Nancy, we really do not get out much so anyone to talk to would be a blessing. I have social phobias myself so getting out for me is hard let alone my son I feel horrible I take him to McDonalds to play atleast twice a month but he doesn't really interact with other kids much there or at school.

Quote:
hello bullet,
am not aspergan though am on the spectrum [severe classic autism,do not fit into specific functioning level but am a mixture,a mongrel of functioning,doesnt matter as they dont even use functioning in autistic services nor social services learning disability team do].

the next DSM manual being released is going to mark the end of every seperate form of autism [DSM=the diagnostic something or other manual,AKA the official word on mental conditions and is used by medical persons to diagnose with],it will all be called ASD instead,with severity included,though am not sure how that will work out,because what will define what?

this will have a good effect on people all over the spectrum,because no longer will people be able to just look at the label and judge on it.
for those of us with classic autism [people use different terms],as soon as they find out the label they assume we are thick and know naff all about anytihng,for people who have aspergers they are automaticaly assumed to all have no difficulties and no autism.

aspergers can be called verbal autism-they cannot have had speech delays/issues as a toddler,one diagnostic manual does allow speech delay in aspergers [gillberg?] but dont think its widely used.
they have to have an iq one point above the mildest point of intelectual disability or higher.
its a unique condition just like the rest of the spectrum-everyone experiences it differently.

with classic autism [autistic disorder] we experience significant language/delays/speech difficulties in toddlerhood,but otherwise-for some the autism can be exactly the same as aspergers,that is why many argue that HFA [high functioning autism] and aspergers are the same thing or close enough to be merged.

can QFT the mentions on theraputic horse riding,am a member of the UKs RDA [riding for the disabled association] and do theraputic sessions once a week,or shoud say,used to,having to rebuild routine with it again at the moment,have ridden since a young kid- its incredibly theraputic,in own case helps with sensory acuteness,communication,interaction,behavior,makes tolerance a little better....
though it only lasts till the end of next day roughly but is worth the money,its different for everyone from what have heard.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom