Does anyone have experience with nordic or spitz dog breeds?

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
Yes, I"m already think about dogs that I want as an adult, lol
I"m looking to talk with people that own nordic and/or spitz dog breeds. I"m talking malamutes, huskies (siberian or labrador) samoyeds, lapphunds, etc. I'm really looking at yakutian laikas as a potential dog for my adult self, but they're pretty rare, so I figured that I have a better shot at finding people with other nordic breeds, as they're related.
Thanks!!!

We had a spitz when I was a kid, she was a great dog. Protective and alert, funny and playful with us, well mannered and trainable. Her coat required a bit of maintenance but nothing too serious.
Cool! What type? German spitz or another? how big was she? (sorry to grill you lol)

I have had American Eskimos for 25 years. The hair is a pain but I love their cheerful spirits. They don't mess with the other animals (horse, goats or chickens) at all. They are very bonded, people oriented. I have been getting them from Eskie Rescuers.

No worries! She was a German but on the small side at about 45 to 50 pounds. We got her when I was very young and I couldn’t say puppy and called her Pudgy and the name stuck lol. My folks got the runt from friends who were breeders way back then. I remember my dad was away and my mom and I had been out with Pudgy at the park. When we got home as soon as my mom opened the door the dog started growling and her hackles went up and she started backing away from the door. We went to the neighbors house to call the police and when they cleared the house we found we’d been burglarized. We’d possibly come home while the person was still in there but the dog knew. I always felt safe with her there. She never bit anyone but she hated the mailman. Loved cuddles and to play in the sprinkler with me, lots of tug O’war. She was very active.

Mom had an Alaskan eskimo spitz. Thing was smart but its one of the main reasons i dont allow inside pets nor dogs with long hair.
I'd assume that dogs w/ long hair is because of shedding, but why did it cause no inside dogs? Was said dog poorly trained, or are they loud or mouthy or other things that I might not expect?

Shedding for both reasons.

Bit more detail. I have a 5 y/o "step" son and a 13 y/o son. I'm on disability so I'm the stay at home while my g/f works. I'm the one that cooks, cleans, and takes care of the farm. I don't mind dogs, cats, or the coons coming in but they don't live in the house. The cats live in the barn. Dogs have dog houses but live on my porch. Coons have a 10x10x6 enclosure. My chickens have a 10x10 coop with 10x20 covered run and now have a 20x25 uncovered run I let them out in on pretty days. Everybody has a house. Well i guess the cattle are mistreated but yeah they are cattle.

Last edited:
I would like to point out that regardless of anyone’s experience, each dog is an individual. We have three bullies in the house right now, two females and a male. The male and youngest female grew up together, the older female joined us with my daughter and her kids a little over a year ago but had visited us many times before that.

Our male loves all humans and thinks everyone he sees wants to pet him, unless you come to our house and then you require human master approval first. Our female doesn’t really care for humans outside the family. My daughters dog will let humans in public pet her, but unless you come to our house it’s not something she seeks. My girl barks the most, my daughters the least, the boy is in the middle. Our male sheds, our female only a little bit and our daughters dog not at all. Our dogs are huge fans of playing ball but not the grand doggy, and all three dogs can be let off leash without worrying they’ll take off.

I hope that helps. I had a wonderful experience with our girl, but I’be also had the same with many other breeds over my lifetime.

Both mine are bull dogs. Former hog hunting dogs I took in because they were past their "prime".
Worst dogs ever. All they want to do is rub on you begging for a butt scratching, lol. They however dont allow anything or body on my property. Truthfully I'd trust the barn cats to attack before those two.

Back
Top Bottom