Does anyone have experience with nordic or spitz dog breeds?

From the official description of American Eskimos: Warning barkers and human companions.
Reality: Warning barkers and human companions.
The long hair is a pain, it's kind of a condiment at our house.
It insulates them in hot or cold weather, they get along with Louisiana weather.

Yeah I'm about 3 hours from the LA/AR border. Mom only trimmed hers 2 times but that was because I was dating a dog groomer at the time so got it done free. But he was an inside dog except when he needed to go but he would do his thing and let you know right quick. Funny once he got back in he would run in the kitchen and plop down on the ac vent in the floor.
He was also a prissy dog. If it was raining he would tip toe and stay out of any water or mud puddles.

For an easy to live with Nordic breed, or just a lovely dog in general, get a Samoyed. They're awesome. And there are folks who will spin that hair and make a sweater from it - there'll be enough.
Still, just great dogs overall.

Malamutes here.

The hair....oh that hair!!

Intensive cleaning as they shed constantly and bring in gobs of mud every time it rains.
They are big dogs at around 80-100+ pounds.

They are a dominant type dog so require a good experienced leader or they can be trouble makers.
I lost this thread but aaaah! malamutes!! I love!!! Have you had issues with dog (Esp. same sex) aggression with them?

For an easy to live with Nordic breed, or just a lovely dog in general, get a Samoyed. They're awesome. And there are folks who will spin that hair and make a sweater from it - there'll be enough.
I'm a bit hesitant about samoyeds, possibly because I've read so many stories online about them being absolute a$$holes and driving owners absolutely insane. However, I LOVE the look, and the temperament.

I lost this thread but aaaah! malamutes!! I love!!! Have you had issues with dog (Esp. same sex) aggression with them?

We had an intact male that was....well....rather dominant. The females have not shown dog or human aggression in fact the younger one can be rather pesty wanting to play with the other dogs and wanting petting.

Back
Top Bottom