Does anyone have only ONE breed?

Yes. Just Swedish flower hens. In a small group there’s enough color/pattern variety that they’re relatively easy to tell apart.

For example Popcorn is mostly brown and white with a black necklace. Taco is black and tan. Penne is more brown than black in her breast with a white head.
CC8D8B80-694E-4CB6-A8EF-2459DC740498.jpeg

The few times I've bought directly from hatcheries, I'd buy a decent number of one breed. Once I had 11 brown leghorns, could only distinguish a few of them. So the main reason to have only 1-2 breeds was to simplify the ordering (having the entire order hatch on the same date so you get one shipment), and to satisfy the minimum numbers per breed or avoid a fee for ordering just a few birds of each of lots of breeds. Oh, and I bought a dozen replacement/rotation layers from Cal Ranch, they were all one breed due to what the store had left--midnight majesty marans. So breed selection at the feed store can be a factor too.

Just wondering if anyone only has one or even 2 breeds of chicken? Seems like most people have as many different breeds as they have space for. (Not "judging", I am all about everyone doing what THEY want to do!) I'm just curious is all. :)
A big part of the joy of having chickens, at least for me, is trying different breeds! I do have my favorites and "never have a flock without" breeds but variety is the spice of life! :thumbsup

I have a few different breeds.
I have 4 Breeds for my first flock...and more than 10 of 18 now in the Incubator are eggs from different Purebred parents. A couple crosses are for Olive Eggers or Lacing on fluffy feathered breeds. I want a colorful basket partly so i know who is laying - important for monitoring well-being, and understanding behavior, imo.

Just wondering if anyone only has one or even 2 breeds of chicken? Seems like most people have as many different breeds as they have space for. (Not "judging", I am all about everyone doing what THEY want to do!) I'm just curious is all. :)

I have only 3 hens because of where I live...they are Ameraucana. They are friendly and come and sit in my lap when I am outside with them :love.

Back
Top Bottom