Does anyone have this book?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by raffello, Feb 25, 2008.

1. raffello

raffello Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Hi, I'm new around here. I'm doing a lot of research before I get chickens (about two year's worth [​IMG]), and I was wondering if anyone has Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds, and if they thought it was worth getting? I like it because it seems to have a lot of color photos of all these birds, but I'm wondering if the information is useful and/or accurate. Thanks for reading. [​IMG]

2. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    I don't have the book but, I checked it out from our library. I thought it was a pretty good book.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Story's books are some of the best for general all purpose knowledge.

4. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    I do all my research right here!!!!! Great website, wonderful knowledge people to learn from!!!!Thanks guys:)

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I don't have that one but I did buy Story's guide to raising Turkeys. It was very informative and had answers to many questions. I think the best information regarding breeds can be found at Feathersite on the web and Henderson's breed guide. If you can buy the book used at a reasonable price it may be worth it but if you want information about a particular breed you can google it. It is nice to have a guide on hand. I choose " The Complete Encyclopedia of Chickens" by Esther Verhoef. It goes into detail about many breeds and have lots of general information regarding breeding, health and housing.

6. dakinsmimi

dakinsmimi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2007
    Mississippi
    I have it and love it. Always answers my general questions about a specific bird. I'd go out and buy it if I lost my copy.

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I checked it out from the library. It was good for comparing breeds, but I found the Chicken Health Handbook better for chicken questions, once I'd picked the breeds I wanted...

8. chickenlover210

chickenlover210 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2008
    the Usa
    Quote:I don't have that one but I have storeys guide to raising chickens
    it's really good
    also I have the kids guide to raising chickens and it's really helpful

9. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I have it and i love mine too. I think its the best book i have ever seen for reference when looking into the breeds. There is alot of great info. I love having it on hand.

10. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    I have the book. I couldn't put it down for weeks!! It was a really good book, with tons of color photos and information. It was expensive but completly worth the price.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by