Does anyone know what these are?

What thing? Those legs are sure thick! Without age, I am not certain.
Oh the reason I first thought that the big one could be a male is that the tail feathers start to go back down at the tips. I was looking and looking for differences that aren't age-dependent because I have no idea what age these are, and the only thing I really saw is that even when females have a big tail, it doesn't seem to really curve like that? But also most pictures online of barred rock (what I was thinking these were) don't actually say whether you're looking at a male or female. Really glad I found this forum!

Oh the reason I first thought that the big one could be a male is that the tail feathers start to go back down at the tips. I was looking and looking for differences that aren't age-dependent because I have no idea what age these are, and the only thing I really saw is that even when females have a big tail, it doesn't seem to really curve like that? But also most pictures online of barred rock (what I was thinking these were) don't actually say whether you're looking at a male or female. Really glad I found this forum!
We're glad to have you! Hope you have as much fun reading and learning here as I have. :ya

You mean saddle feathers! Both genders have saddle feathers, but only males have sharp saddle feathers, they come in at around 12 weeks of age.

Where did you get them from?
This guy at the market, he has a truck and a ton of different birds. I live in portugal but I just arrived in June and don't speak portuguese at all (and he doesn't speak any of the languages I speak), so all i could do was make a "small" gesture with my hands. Kind of thought (inexplicably) that he would only give me females? I truly don't know why I thought that. I've seen his truck around since though, so I might stop by and try and communicate.

You mean saddle feathers! Both genders have saddle feathers, but only males have sharp saddle feathers, they come in at around 12 weeks of age.
Oh that's very useful, because he just started getting these so I guess I know around what age he is. Unfortunately I was thinking because the comb was getting so beautifully red that I was going to get eggs soon... I guess I'll have to wait and see if the little one is a female!

Sorry just wondering, is there anything behaviorally that could help me sex the smaller one? Aside from crowing and egg laying, i mean. Or are they pretty much the same until sexual maturity?

This guy at the market, he has a truck and a ton of different birds. I live in portugal but I just arrived in June and don't speak portuguese at all (and he doesn't speak any of the languages I speak), so all i could do was make a "small" gesture with my hands. Kind of thought (inexplicably) that he would only give me females? I truly don't know why I thought that. I've seen his truck around since though, so I might stop by and try and communicate.
Looks like you have two barred rock mixes. I highly doubt either are purebred. One pullet and one cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom