Does anyone let their chickens sleep outside?

If it's predator proof, and has a roof to keep off rain, I would just let them choose.

Wire mesh will break up the wind somewhat, so inside the run won't be quite as bad as outside. For the summer, the wind is probably not a problem unless it's blowing the chickens themselves around. Chickens are reasonably good about going into a sheltered place if they need to.

If the wind usually comes from a particular direction, maybe you could put something on just that side to block it--tarp or plywood or siding or whatever else is available. Even the empty bags chicken food came in could block wind, although I'm not sure how you'd keep them from blowing away.
Rain... HAHAHAHAH (I live in the high desert. We had lese than 7 inches of rain all 12 months last year.) But I do plan on a roof over part of the run.

Wind comes from the north, west or south. (As well as NW, NE, SE ect...) LOL Depends on the moment. (Not even on the DAY as we often get wind from more than one direction on the same day.)

Does shade cloth further "break up" wind? (Never used it, but I would think SO.) As I will also be needing to put up SOMETHING for shade, preferable that doesn't also trap heat. Just doing my typical over thinking! LOL

Yes, shade cloth would break up wind, too.

Have you tried opening a window in a house, with the screen on or off? It's surprising what a difference things like screen or fabric can make. Air still goes through, but it has to slow down.

For shade without trapping heat: whether you use a solid roof or shade cloth, you could put it at an angle. That way instead of heat rising and sitting underneath, the heat can keep rising up along the slope and go out the top edge.
Actually I have not tried it, but I have heard that is the case. A solid roof would HAVE to be at an angle due to snow in the winter anyway.

There’s a big difference between day and night temps where I live, but the chickens have adjusted fine; it works out well in the summer because it gives them a chance to cool down.
My coop is positioned to keep them out of the prevailing wind most of the year, but I see you get wind from all directions. We actually do too, but the strongest winds come from the west during the afternoon, especially during summer. Do you have a time of day when winds generally pick up, and a particular direction where those winds come from (I know this depends on the season)?
I think they should be fine as long as you have a plan to block the wind when needed - so they don’t get blown away of course.

As long as they are in a covered, protected run they should be fine outside. If not, then you run the risk of increased predation by raccoons, coyotes, weasels, and owls, just to name a few.
I have had a big problem with raccoons, and I just have to say that its really hard to keep a run (or pen for that matter) "secure" from them. They can climb, push doors open, and slip through the smallest holes. If they're hungry, its hard to keep them away. (I do understand not everyone live in racoon habitat)
But I always secure them in at night. A couple times when I have forgotten its not been pretty.:th

Temperature and predators. That is all. Give them a place to go if it is cold and shade if it is hot. I recommend a pack of five big dogs with access around their pen to keep the naughty creatures away.
The only naughty creatures are coyotes and badgers. (Don't know if badgers would even be an issue, but we do have them here.) And coyotes aren't going to breech the pen. (Hog panels with chain link attached on one side and SUPER heavy duty welded wire panels on the other sides. Dang near killed myself setting them up! (Even very determined dogs much larger than any coyote known to man have ever damaged either one AT ALL.) (Pic attached to show the welded wire kennel panels. Also shows the building (12x12) I am thinking of using for if they choose any time, and for the winter. This is as it is NOW, not how it will be if I decided to use it for the chickens.) Luckily there is also a very large cottontail and jack rabbit population so there is a LOT of "coyote food". (Not counting the road kill mule deer and all the mice and voles. LOL) And while I KNOW they are wild animals and will "do what they do", they haven't been an issue for me SO FAR in the 10 years I have lived here. Not even with my goats or turkeys.

Attachments

• IMG_5546.JPG
    IMG_5546.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 6
😁 The winds here are hard to explain too and kind of unpredictable at times. Perhaps you can make sure that at least the west wind is blocked. When you get your chickens in there just watch their reactions, and adjust when/if needed. Make the run easy to add wind breaks. Add additional areas in the run where they can shelter if needed, to help during the day.
LOL I have plywood, wire, screw gun etc... And know how to use them. LOL Pic shows one of my "wind breaks" attached to the run currently.
IMG_5546.JPG

They are mottled Java's. (And "rain"? I'm not familiar with this word. LOL I live in the high desert. We had 7 inches precipitation in all of 2020. (Jan 1 to Dec 31.) But I do plan on roofing at least part of the run area, mostly for shade and to keep at least part of it snow free in the winter.
"Snow"? I'm not familiar with THAT word, haha.

Back
Top Bottom