Does anyone out there have Buckeye Chickens?

buckeye lady

Songster
11 Years
Sep 29, 2008
Rootstown Ohio
I have 7 sweet Buckeye hens. They lay beautiful eggs.
I am a new chicken mom and I wanted to start with an endangered breed.
Buckeyes are locals for me as well. They originated just 1 county over from me.

Hi there!
I don't have any buckeyes (yet) but I wanted to tell you that I think its neat that you have such a close relationship with where your birds originated. Have you thought about getting a roo and selling hatching eggs?
Now we need to see pics!
wink.png

Becky

I don't have any yet, but have about 16 eggs in the bator, hope to have some in about 16 days! Do you have any pics of yours?

Dont have any buckeyes, but if i cant get a hold of of my first two breed choices i migh get some from Meyers hatchery. I am one county away as well. I usually drive to Warren for feed, Harley Davidson and Walmart fabric in one run.

Yes, indeed, five five pullets from June and one cockeral, same age, from MPC/Meyer. They're really nice to look at and I felt it was doing a kind of good deed giving a home to something becoming rare. If I were doing a single breed, it might be that Buckeyes would satisfy my hopes and expectations on raising chickens; thought that of the Dorking but never acquired any in 2008.

I have Buckeyes....five pullets and 2 cockerels from Ideal hatchery.
I like them so much, I am slowly replacing my "laying" flock with them instead of the Isabrowns. They are amazing foragers which has sent me out to "herd" them closer to home quite a few times last summer. They are 26 weeks now and still no eggs though, but it is winter here in BC. The young Roos are very attentive and protective of their harem. I currently house them with my Barred Rock hens and hope to hatch some Black-sex links as well as the Buckeyes for next spring. I have many people interested in them, so should have no trouble spreading the breed around some.
I don't have any recent pictures but have some of them at 16 weeks old. I will get some more recent pictures up soon.

Buckeypullet16w_640x480.jpg

Buckeyeroohead16w_640x480.jpg

BuckeyePulletandBarredRockHen_640x4.jpg

I love those pictures!

I didn't know many options of where to get what, so I bought mine from MyPetChicken and the order was fulfilled by Meyers. You'd have to wait until spring to receive any - kind of a long wait. I'm thoroughly pleased with them (no expert here, however). I keep my fingers crossed that nothing happens to my one beautiful roo before I can get some offspring.

Back
Top Bottom