Does anyone out there have Buckeye Chickens?

What I love about the buckeyes is that they were bred to balance the needs of the climate, reliability for egg prroduction, survival and temperment. It can't get better than that. As I introduce new stock the buckeye is what I plan to go with now that I am better educated than I was when I ordered those psycho ee's of mine.
smile.png
Hindsight....lol

Haha! I am considering Buckeyes too as they are Heritage and available nearby. I also have crazy EE's and I just love them but am wondering how Buckeyes would work out free-ranging with the EE's. Hopefully they would all get along.

This is our Buckeye named Nutmeg. I haven't handled her so much other than the routine checking twice a month but she does come running when I walk back to the coop and begs for the treats.
2008_1105TheGang0191.jpg

Cindy

We thought we had one, but then her comb grew just like her RIR sisters... and it took her a LONG time to lay too. My boys named her "Smalls"

I have a couple. I too wanted them because I grew up in the BUCKEYE state. I think they are real friendly too.

If you are interested in Hatching, CORANCHER had eggs last spring, and if the PO hadnt played football with mine they might have hatched, PC got eggs and had a good hatch. I will be seperating mine this spring too.
I got my original set from MEYER hatcheries.

Umm... I have 8 buckeyes. they're about 10 weeks old now. Not laying yet. I bought 8 hens and 1 rooster and we let them roam the yard. They are extremely friendly! I thought that they just associated me with food.
wink.png
But even when it is plain I have no goodies for them they just like to hang around me.
If I'm in the garage they come looking for me. Here's what is strange.... a few weeks ago a stray cat ambushed them and took my only rooster
sad.png

Now one of the "hens" is growing the ear lobs the sickle tail feathers & the pea comb is much larger and redder than the others....

Hmm. This is my 1st experience with chickens other than when I was four years old. I believe the hatchery made a mistake in sexing but there is a part of me that wonders.... If there is no rooster in the flock, does one of the chickens ..like morph into a rooster??? Sort of like the dinosaurs on Jurassic Park???
lol.png

subdiver:
If there is no rooster in the flock, does one of the chickens ..like morph into a rooster???

No. Though, just like with people and other animals, there is the 1 in 100 million oddity-- an animal having sex organs of both male and female. You would have such an rare oddity if you had a hen that was laying eggs and then stopped and developed into a rooster-- I think this has been known to happen at sometime in history (like it has with a human) but more likely:

Sexing at the hatchery is wrong about 5% of the time. At 10 weeks old, it can sometimes be hard to sex Buckeyes. This one could be a male. If not, I keep an extra male if you are anywhere near Alabama.​

Back
Top Bottom