Does anyone out there have Buckeye Chickens?

We have a baker's dozen of Buckeyes here in Weston, WV, our very first chickens.

I was astonished at how smart and personable they are--the chickens I remember from my girlhood were kind of surly and dumb, but these guys are really amusing. They're free-range, although the weather's been so crummy here that we've kept them in more often than not. Right now they're in an outbuilding that has access from the house, we started building them a proper coop but the weather turned nasty just after we got the cement anchors poured.

The chickens are now six months old, and it looks like we didn't get any boys at all, so if any of you are raising Buckeyes semi-near me, in the spring, I'd love to arrange to purchase/trade a rooster or two.

bump.......Crains Run Ranch in SW Ohio has been breeding and raising Buckeyes since 2002! Check us out if youe looking for hatching eggs or day old chicks.

Thanks,

I love my buckeyes.They have become my favorite breed.A few pictures of mine.
big_smile.png

11289_chickens23_009.jpg

11289_chickens_2_007.jpg

11289_chickens_2_003.jpg

11289_buckeye4_008.jpg

11289_buckeye4_001.jpg

Last edited:
Now, we have an old thread dug up? Now, I HAVE to watch 2 Buckeye threads? Come on you guys, give me a break! LOL

Now, a question ... why is it that Buckeyes need more protein than the normal chicken? I don't understand that.

kathyinmo: Now, a question ... why is it that Buckeyes need more protein than the normal chicken? I don't understand that.

Primarily, the Buckeye is a very muscular bird. A good one will have muscular thighs and wings. Muscles need more protein to grow properly. Just ask any human body builder. Protein = growth.

Secondarily, the Buckeye is a very active fowl, one of the most active of the American breeds. For all this activity, more protein is better.

Quote:
Thanks..I am very fortunate to have them. Chris McCarey did all the hard work.I just get the enjoyment from them.If you ever need chicks or hatching eggs just let me know.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom