Does anyone successfully candled a FBCMs eggs?

Spartan22

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 2, 2014
NE Ohio
4E008C83-AF51-4205-9B87-97B36C7E4398.jpeg
Our first time hatching Black Copper Marans eggs from our own hen, my q is how do you candle these pretty dark eggs? Or do you just blindly wait till hatch day? Last year we hatched some bought eggs and we didn’t candle them.

View attachment 1297918 Our first time hatching Black Copper Marans eggs from our own hen, my q is how do you candle these pretty dark eggs? Or do you just blindly wait till hatch day? Last year we hatched some bought eggs and we didn’t candle them.
It’s just a personal preference. I use a regular flashlight to candle a few times throughout to make sure there are no duds, but with these darker eggs you may have to make a pretty heaving duty candeling box

So I guess you can’t really know wether it’s fertilize or developing huh? No wonder Marans are expensive, so mystical :pop we are on day 8 and I feel like I got ants in my pants.:)

We have had an okay time with our Magicfly egg candler on our FBCM eggs. By okay I mostly just mean you can usually see the air sac at least a little, but you cant see veining or the embryo. And if you have any "chocolate" eggs, you might as well give up. Haha. There is no way unless you have a commercial light and even then I am not sure. Good Luck! If you find a really good way to tell, let us know!

I use a powerful flashlight in a very dark room.
Try not to 'blind' yourself with the flashlight,
before you get your hand wrapped around the light and egg.
Some marans and even green and blue eggs are very hard to see into,
you should at least be able to monitor the air cell and maybe see some veining early on.

Back
Top Bottom