Does anyone use dogs to hunt anymore?

Ruby's so pretty
smile.png

I read Where the Red Fern Grows when I was a kid and was obsessed with coonhounds for what seemed like forever . . . they have such beautiful voices.

It's funny, right after I posted this I went out back and noticed our neighbor had a new Brittany spaniel puppy in his yard. I'm terribly shy, even with neighbors, but my SO asked the neighbor about it and found out he hunts, and had been looking for a good dog for a while. Sometimes it seems like writing about something makes things happen. Now I'm going to have to work up the courage to start a conversation about hunting dogs with him.

Quote:
That's so neat!
My dogs would have probably brought me things unbidden, but it would be nasty dead rats instead of nice tasty pheasants. Well, maybe a rabbit, but certainly not alive and well.
roll.png

I hope you praised that good dog of yours
smile.png

I love rabbit hunting with our beagles. There is not a better companion in a duck blind then a well trained Lab. I grew up coon hunting with walkers and black and tans; however my favorite coondog was a red bone/black and tan cross.

Brad

My cocker spaniel is trained to flush and retrieve, he's only ever worked on bumpers, and my domestic quail and limited experience on rabbit retrieval (dead and alive) he did great but they were heavy domestic rabbits so i was only a one time training thing for him... however am considering highly about taking him out tomorrow when we go up in our backwoods hunting squirrel, rabbit, and possibly grouse (though they normally startle the day lights out of me to the point where by the time i get my barrings the birds long gone lol)!

If we do take him out it will be his FIRST offical flush/retrieval work on wild animals.
big_smile.png

IMG_2585.jpg

IMG_2587.jpg

^ few months ago, he's matured a lot since then (looks wise).
smile.png

Linebacker,
You said there's not a better companion in a duck blind than a lab....Well,go back and take a look at our lab,"RUBY".I don't think she'd meet your standards...
lau.gif
:

Last edited:
We just got our pup 3 weeks ago after loosing our other . He's half Springer , hlaf choc. Lab . We took him out deer hunting last weekend....never knew something so small could make so much noise ! Hubby took our pup , Hunter , with him ...I went the opposite way . We were to meet back at the truck . Long story short , I got back to the truck first..and not 30 sec later here comes hunter . Hubby was 5 minutes behind . He told me Hunter got back to the spot where we first split and held his nose to the ground...took off running . Must have a good sniffer ( he's about 10 weeks old ).

DSC00901.jpg

DSC00892.jpg

DSC00884.jpg

Back
Top Bottom