Does anyone use Myler bits? The Lucy saga continues..

I just PMd you
big_smile.png

I truly don't think I am heavy handed, as she does ride infinitely better off legs rather than hands. She is extremely light in the mouth. My husband and I have had a few 'lively discussions' about this, as I feel he carries his hands too high and uses them too much. On one occasion I could see that he was aggravating her, and she ended up sulling up and alternating between bucking and rearing. Luckily for him she stopped after she'd unseated him. I'm not brave but wanted to prove a point, got on her and had no issues at all. I know he knows more than me, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

I grew up riding English and only recently switched to Western, which gave me more than a few problems when coupled with overcoming my fear of horses. The last thing I wanted to do was have long loose reins when i'd been taught to maintain contact! If I became nervous, my first reaction was to pick up on the reins which usually caused me more problems. Equally, the western saddle felt like riding a saddle rather than riding a horse.

After going through several ranch horses that I could not get along with, I finally convinced my husband to let me get my own. The main problem I had with those was that they were set in their ways; if I went to move cattle on them I didn't have a problem. Trying to ride away from the house or in the arena they gave me fits, and I couldn't learn and gain confidence from a horse that would act out whatever I did. I had no way of telling when it was me and when it was the horse. So along came Lucy, not exactly what I had been looking for but that's a whole different story that has a lot to do with someone else's opinion of what I needed.

Lucy is nowhere near the minx she was when we bought her. I was too scared to even lead her. Not because she would try to hurt me, but she had no 'bubble' and I was worried she'd run into me. She has never threatened to kick, bite, paw. She does not try to hurt people, but her tantrums have the potential to. If she was aggressive she'd be long gone. Her moods change like the wind, but I don't find her unpredictable; she will not randomly buck or rear, it is always the same scenario that causes it.

She'll usually rein without even holding the reins. The problem comes when she doesn't want to, and the reins are used as reinforcement. It almost exclusively happens to the left. She braces and pulls against them, throws her head, turns it to the right and runs sideways. She can also have an attitude if she anticipates wrongly and is corrected, she's almost like a teenager that's tried to do something helpful and is offended when you tell them it's not.

She doesn't have wolf teeth, but she does have very small canines. They are less than 1/10" long. They are loose and the vet said they will most likely just fall out.

Switching to the hackamore has almost eliminated the problem. She did it a few times for the first couple of rides, but I think it was habit more than anything. The only time she has given me trouble was the day I tried using a bit again. She was in heat but her behaviour was unacceptable, I know I should have ridden her through it until she was wanting to listen, but my fear got the better of me and I didn't get much help that day. That was the only time she has been in a bit since her teeth were floated, and she was rotten in anything I tried to ride her in.

For the record, we have not been 'going to a more aggressive bit'. We've done the opposite. In a perfect world it would be great to just use another horse if the one you have isn't perfect. However, finances and training come into the equation. We can't keep Lucy and buy another.

Rusty I believe you are exactly right. She is too smart to do 'boring' work. The quickest way to calm her down is to give her a more difficult task. It helps me too, giving me something else to focus on other than what her ears are doing! Working cattle in the arena is like tranquilising her, I can feel she is completely relaxed. She's the strangest creature I have ever come across; the harder the task, the better she behaves. It is incredibly frustrating because I know she knows the basics, she's just too ADD to behave. She should do whatever is asked of her.

I agree it sounds like i'm aiming for the impossible with her, but if i didn't have some faith i'd have quit long ago. The reasoning behind wanting to use her for this event is the diversity, it seems to cater to her need for stimulation. There are five components: trail, cutting, reining, conformation, and riding. It's also something I love to do, and have the facilities for. For the past few clinics I have used my stepmother in law's horse (as she had ACL surgery) and she and I get along famously (the horse that is
tongue.png
). However, we can't show the same horse and I can't afford one with the degree of training that hers has.

Chicks_N_Horses i'm sorry, my inbox was full. It seems like all I ever do is empty that thing
he.gif

i still wanna know if she behaves best in a hack why would u think of putting a bit in her? I had the oposite problem. My wife got a new horse....my wife doesnt like using a bit. Well he wouldnt act right with the hack, so I threw a bit in him and he is a totally different horse.

Quote:
I did answer that a couple of times. I want to use her for ranch horse versatility, and the NVRHA (National Versatility Ranch Horse Assoc.) don't allow anything other than a bit.

I know from experience that a bigger bit does not solve problems. I had a three gaited American Saddle bred mare that competed. She had all go and no slow. Everyone said get a bigger bit. Wrong. Started taking her on long rides. She would back in ditches and not want to go. Broke her of that, backed her home. lots of ground work. I agree that your horse needs more ground work for her to respect you. It humbles them and it is a lot safer than trying to do it while riding.

I want to use her for ranch horse versatility, and the NVRHA (National Versatility Ranch Horse Assoc.) don't allow anything other than a bit.

In the show horse world it is very common to work daily in one rig and just for the specific class use the bit required during that class, then take it back out and use your work rig the rest of the time. I had one stud that I even used the work rig in the warm up ring and literally changed bits AS I was heading into the class. He did not like that bit and was smart enough to understand that I only used it during the class, so he cut me some slack and accepted it. But the INSTANT we got out of the ring he would start head-tossing to remind me to get it OUT. He would literally spit it out into my hand! He liked his full cheeked snaffle, which wasn't allowed because it was an English bit, so we snarked through with the mildest grazing bit I could find.

So find the rig she likes, do your training in it, and only make the switch for the class. Horses are smart. They'll adapt once they know they don't have to deal with it all the time.

Right now I am riding a mare who was severely injured in a trailer rollover. She is blind in the off eye and has a bad scar on that side of her neck. These combine to cause her to carry her head off to one side all the time. To overcome this under saddle, I ride her in a modified running martingale, which she does seem to like. She is slowly rebuilding that damaged muscle. But of course she cannot be shown in that rig. She will go back to her regular show rig for her classes and the modified running martingale the rest of the time.

Rusty​

Last edited:
Do you have a round pen? I don't really lunge period unless I am starting a horse and want to teach some things. You CAN use a round pen to work on respect and building a relationship. It is not hard to do, but you do sort of have to know what you are doing. And with videos and books, you CAN learn the basics.

Part of the deal may be that the two of you aren't ready to compete yet. Would your husband support you working with a trainer with her? Since he won't let you sell her, that might be a good bet.

In my honest opinion, I think it kind of sucks that he won't let you get a horse that is right for you. When I got back into riding, I got a horse that was too much for me and it ended up breaking my leg and giving me a concussion. It could have been worse. This was a long time ago, but I still remember the fear I had riding him. It took A LOT to get over it. The thing that helped the most was a good solid horse.

Where do you live? I have a good friend in New Mexico who is an awesome horsewoman. Maybe you could get together?

Thanks guys for your help, I appreciate it. My thinking behind the Myler is that since it works on the nose first, then the mouth, she may respond before it puts pressure on her mouth and might be more like using a hackamore and just having her carry the bit.

Another thought crossed my mind. Since she will often do well with no reins at all, perhaps I could refine that to the point that I use no pressure on the bit at all? That is probably more than I can accomplish though.

I don't understand the tack rules sometimes. It makes sense not to allow overly harsh or unsafe tack, but if someone could compete in a halter, why shouldn't they? If a horse has medical issues, why can't a vet's certificate allow for different tack?

I tried to broach the subject of selling her again tonight, which didn't go too smoothly. He thinks I need to learn to handle her when she throws a fit, I don't see any reason why I should have to. I don't want to win the NFR, I just want to have fun! It upsets me because he makes me feel like i'm being a spoiled brat and want to give up on any horse that isn't perfect. I saved hard to buy her with my own money, and I don't want to spend any more than she cost. I'd be happy with a good grade horse, but since I can't pull the trailer I can't sell her and go and buy another alone. It probably wouldn't make for marital bliss either.

I told him I was considering skipping the clinic altogether and instead finding someone that could give me a lesson with her once a month or so, and giving me things to work on in the meantime. Unfortunately with being so remote it is expensive just travelling anywhere with the horse trailer. It's about 150 miles to Albuquerque, Santa Fe or Amarillo. He thinks it's a waste of money and I should just ride her here more and he can train me
roll.png

The Hoof and Hen Ranch, we are just outside of Conchas NM, in the north east of the state.

I switched to myler bits. I love them, and so do most of my horses. I do have an issue with my stallion though. He basically has too much strength for me to pull him up if he gets hyper (my fault for not working him more regularly). I have been looking into different bits, and found the one I want - Mikmar. They seem to work of pressure more than the mylers do. But, I have not used a myler combo bit. Mikmar is also an expensive bit, but I'm willing to try it once I have the $ for it. As a company, they are also extremely helpful. You can email them, and actually get a response from a real person, who is not sending an automated email back to you!
clap.gif

Honestly, it sounds like your mare may simply be the working type. She loves her job... Let her do it. I had a great mare who was very talented, and wanted to work. She was not happy simply walking around on trail and relaxing. She WANTED to work. I wound up giving her back to the person I got her from because I couldn't find her an appropriate home around here.

My advice, Go out and buy yourself a helmet! Who cares if you've asked for one... They obviously aren't listening
hmm.png
If you want a different type of horse for YOURSELF, find him/her! having a difficult horse won't help make you a better rider (although, it sounds like you are WAY more confident than before!). I personally love a challenge, but I don't bounce like I used to, and an easier ride is a refreshing experience sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom