1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

does anyone want any potatoes?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KristyHall, Jul 3, 2011.

1. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    I am over run with organically grown potatoes. someone help me eat them all.
    I'll even trade them. just... gah!

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Me! Me! I want some!!!

3. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:I don't know how to ship eating potatoes sot hey don't go bad before they get all the way across the country. Do you know how to do that?

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Have you considered canning them? Straight canned potatoes is OK but I especially like to make chowder with them. It is a big part of a rushed meal made easy if you open a can of chowder (I like corn chowder myself but there are many variations) heat it up, and add milk and cheese. That is great on those winter evenings with a simple sandwich.

5. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    Quote:That hadn't occurred to me since I don't have a pressure cooker, but I do love a good chowder. especially chicken chowder

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I don't know how to ship eating potatoes sot hey don't go bad before they get all the way across the country. Do you know how to do that?

I wish. Just drive them over [​IMG] .

7. KristyHall

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama

I wish. Just drive them over [​IMG] .

uh.... no

if you lived closer I would but i'm not going to California

8. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Well, I'm in North Alabama, with a potato-loving husband [​IMG] Likely too far away for potato exchanges, though...

I have a great huge cookbook called One Potato, Two Potato which is a big help when the taties get overwhelming!

9. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    If they could be shipped, I'd take any and all extras off your hands, the kids LOVE potatoes. Alas, quick google skim, taters don't ship well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by