Does Blue lighting effect chick sex?

he is controversial.. but somethings he was talking about a couple decades ago are cutting edge now.. so he could be right but I have never heard of that either
If it doesn't cost too much for a blue bulb, I may put one in the pen this winter and spring. From what I've read in a couple of poultry studies, bluer spectrum lighting makes chickens somewhat calmer and less stressed (but just the opposite in ducks), so if it doesn't give me hens at hatching, i doubt it will hurt them.
I'm ready to go on a slaying spree with all these damn roosters. They're Eating Machines and the only thing they lay are Poo Berries, and I ain't eating those!
:eek::gig:lau

Last edited:
I read that whole long article about parrots in small cages.
It doesn't say it anything about blue light, only full spectrum, and it doesn't say it will burn their retinas, only that full spectrum lighting can if too close to the bird for too long.
Any lighting can mess up a bird of used wrongly.

umm true
this one is for humans but same issue https://www.allaboutvision.com/sunglasses/spf.htm
upload_2018-12-14_20-36-42.png

I was think of putting a 23w bulb in one pen as supplemental lighting for a couple hours each morning to replace the regular old house light bulb I have in there now.
Just an experiment to see if that Pen's girls could make more pullets.
Soon as I have room in the freezer, it's time to be rid of these useless eater roos.

LOL I breed for the roos for the freezer.. I have been keeping the girls. I usually get 70% boys... Not sure how many I have hatched over the last 3 years, but I made the mistake of counting this week.. chicken math is real.. I have 57 females of various ages. :oops:
8 boys left for the freezer waiting for a warm spell, which will leave me with 6 breeder boys

LOL I breed for the roos for the freezer.. I have been keeping the girls. I usually get 70% boys... Not sure how many I have hatched over the last 3 years, but I made the mistake of counting this week.. chicken math is real.. I have 57 females of various ages. :oops:
8 boys left for the freezer waiting for a warm spell, which will leave me with 6 breeder boys
I sorta counted the other day and I am down to about 30 hens, but I have close to 50+ roosters running around. The hens are pretty good about foraging and staying out from under my feet, but all these dang roosters, when i walkout onto the deck, they swarm. It sounds like a pack of Harleys flying thru the yard. Flapping Thunder!
Got to kick them softly to be able to walk to a vehicle. They are bad about 30 of them sitting and shitting on the deck (has to be hosed off twice daily), while the rest sit on the car and the truck.
I've wanted to put up an electric fence but they will probably just fly over it. They fly up on my roof and have covered it with poo!
:(:mad::sick

Back
Top Bottom