Does bumblefoot cause a pause in egg laying? And some bumblefoot advice too?

Julieugar

Chirping
Apr 11, 2023
My 10 month old Buff Orpington caused me concern that she is not laying eggs, it's been 5 DAYS--yikes. I considered that she might be decreasing eggs due to the shorter days. She was not showing the signature signs of being eggbound, no funny walk, no squatting, and no decreased appetite. In fact other than not laying, she was acting completely normal. My husband did tell me that she was not wanting to be picked up the the past few days, and the chickens readily come to him. On day 4 of not laying, I gave her a warm epsom salt bath and easily inspected her clovaca, there was no obstruction, and it did not feel like there was an egg waiting to come out. Hmmm? When I dried her off and blew dry her feathers, I noticed the bumblefoot on one foot. A medium black splotch, with a crack down the middle. My super sweet chicken loves being pampered, and was a complete doll through the whole process. She did not mind me poking around at her foot, did not seem to be in pain and allowed me to scrape away at it a little bit. It did not look to have the pus, or the "kernal" that I've read about. It does not look too advanced--so I cleaned it and applied neosporin and wrapped it up. She free ranges, so she returned to the group. I apologize for no pictures, if I get a chance I will take some pictures tomorrow when changing the dressing.

I will continue this treatment hoping that it will heal. So, my question is, it it typical for this type of infection case a pause in egg laying? Can this cause physical problem to not be laying eggs? I'm concerned I'm missing something. She is such a jolly bird, she shows no sign of being sick, or acting differently in any way. I'd really appreciate advice on both the absence of eggs and the bumblefoot. Thank you!

In fact other than not laying, she was acting completely normal.

On day 4 of not laying, I gave her a warm epsom salt bath and easily inspected her clovaca, there was no obstruction, and it did not feel like there was an egg waiting to come out.
Do you have photos of her foot?

If the bumblefoot is minor, then it's unlikely thats the cause in pause of production.
Stress, weather and daylight changes can also affect production. Some pullets and hens just take a break.
She could be going through a light molt as well - do you notice any new pin feathers coming in?

You do have some new pullets that you have brought on the property as well, so this may be enough of a change to affect production too.

If she's eating/drinking/active/acting normal, then I'd just observe her and enjoy her company.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-instead-of-integrating-new-pullets.1600969/

Do you have photos of her foot?

If the bumblefoot is minor, then it's unlikely thats the cause in pause of production.
Stress, weather and daylight changes can also affect production. Some pullets and hens just take a break.
She could be going through a light molt as well - do you notice any new pin feathers coming in?

You do have some new pullets that you have brought on the property as well, so this may be enough of a change to affect production too.

If she's eating/drinking/active/acting normal, then I'd just observe her and enjoy her company.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-instead-of-integrating-new-pullets.1600969/
Thanks for your reply. Two things: yes we have 2 new pullets, they arrived a month ago. So that could be a stressor. She is definitely molting, feathers everywhere.

We changed her bandage and we took pictures before we wrapped it back up. The circles are definitely more pronounced today. Do you have any advice on how to treat this at the stage you see in the pictures?

Attachments

• IMG_3717.jpeg
    IMG_3717.jpeg
    355.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3715.jpeg
    IMG_3715.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for your reply. I’ve searched all the threads about Tricide Neo and I will try that to assess the crack and infection. But my question is After I soak the foot in the Tricide Neo could I use prid to draw the infection of the bumble foot out for a few days? Then be able to better remove the two black bumbles, and the abscesses beneath?id prefer to not cut, rather pull them out after they are drawn to the surface. I’d appreciate any clarification. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom